Social Media - Helpful or Harmful?

Started by Lost little girl, November 25, 2017, 11:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost little girl

Disclosure:  Brand new to the forum and am unsure if this question fits here...

I was hoping to get some insight with respect to Social Media.

In 2015, I deactivated my Social Media accounts - they were just too triggering for me.  The challenging opportunity is that almost every resource for healing and support can only be attained by having active Social Media accounts.

How do I best reap the benefits of joining a Social Media Support group without causing further CPTSD emotional flashbacks?

AphoticAtramentous

Hey there Lost, welcome to the forum. ^^
Not sure if I can give you the best answer on this but I can try. :P I stepped away from social media as I found it all too triggering as well. But I've found forums like this one, that focus on CPTSD or PTSD is very helpful. We let others know if a post we write may be triggering, adding a"trigger warning" so you can just read around it if you wish!

Three Roses

Hello and welcome! In Facebook (or as I like to call it, fail book ;) ), there are options where you can customize your preferences, and I've done that ... But things still squeak through. But, if you have an account there, you can use Messenger to stay in touch without having to even look at fb.

Thanks for joining! I hope you get as much support out of this form as I and lots of others have! :)

Lost little girl

Thanks A...A... and Three Roses for the responses and the welcome!  I appreciate you both.

Blueberry

Welcome to the forum  :heythere:

I can't give you an answer because I've never been on social media. Joining this forum was my first venture into posting things about myself into the ether.

This forum has become a life-saver to me. I hope you can get lots of support here too.  :)

Kizzie

I don't have a FB account as find it way too triggering and intrusive.  My FOO have NDP and are very enmeshed with each other so privacy became a real issue for me over time.   

I don't know if a Twitter account is what you're looking for but I created one for OOTS and you don't have to use your real name and no-one see's your email address.  I intend to create a personal one once I get the hang of tweeting so I can follow other people and orgs that aren't relevant to OOTS.   FB though - never  :sadno: