Identifying real feelings

Started by Rainydaze, November 26, 2017, 04:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainydaze

I'm finding lately that I'm getting much better at identifying my real feelings rather than submitting to guilt as though it's the only path. I felt low on my birthday the other day and it would have been so easy to assume that I was missing my father but actually when I delved deeper I came to the following conclusions about my situation and why I genuinely felt that way:

- The thought of people in my FOO thinking badly of me makes me feel sad.
- People not understanding how bad a time I had living alone with him as a teenager makes me feel sad.
- Never being able to have a relationship with a genuinely loving father makes me feel sad.
- Not speaking to someone who doesn't treat me nicely or with respect doesn't make me feel sad.

It really helped to break it down and simplify what I was truly feeling. My sadness and shame didn't mean that I had to do anything about my non relationship with my father or to try to control anything, it was just there to be felt. A couple of days later I had a lovely moment where I felt like I was able to communicate with my 16 year old self and finally feel her pain properly and acknowledge how unfair it was. A couple of years ago when my father first gave me silent treatment I ended up very depressed and was the first one to make moves at reconciliation because I thought that putting up with being scapegoated was easier than feeling my pain. This felt so inauthentic and I'm glad I chose the long path to getting to know myself properly. I don't know if I'll ever make contact with him again, the last 8 months have just been so healing and to me it speaks volumes about how toxic the relationship must have been on my mental health.

Three Roses

:applause: :applause:

This is pretty huge! Thanks for posting.

I like vanilla

blues_cruise that is great - the feeling your feelings part, anyway. It is difficult to feel feelings, especially uncomfortable ones like sadness, and especially when we already have a pattern of response that we must first overcome that hinders us from feeling our feelings. You did it! Great job!

Plus, feeling feelings is a HUGE step towards healing. So, great job there too.

BlancaLap

Well done! Happy to hear you're moving on! You deserve to have your own life with the people you choose, and you deserve the relationships to be healthy, not toxic.

Rainydaze

Thanks everyone.  :) To be honest he helped me by being meaner than ever when we reconnected after his silent treatment, it helped me find my anger and therefore a newfound desire for self-protection!

sanmagic7