The elephant in the room

Started by Dee, November 27, 2017, 07:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazzy

Just a guess, but I think it's a chemical reaction. Now that the biggest stress is over, your brain realizes it is "safe to relax".

It's great that you're feeling relieved now!

Kat

My T often points out that it takes a lot of effort to hold our emotions in and carry so much--much more effort than we are aware of.  So, once we sort of let it go, we finally feel the exhaustion.  She'll often refer to it as emotional energy or trying to contain holding in emotional energy.  ???

Gwyon

Thanks for sharing this with us. I understand about the elephant(s) and how scary it us to talk about them. I salute your courage!

salto

Quote from: Dee on December 05, 2017, 03:43:50 AM

Does anyone know why such exhaustion exist after a big emotional drain?

If you've been carrying a big elephant for a long time, it certainly will drain you out! And letting it out for the first time might show your body that it has good reasons to be exhausted.

Quote from: Kat on December 05, 2017, 04:58:36 AM
My T often points out that it takes a lot of effort to hold our emotions in and carry so much--much more effort than we are aware of.  So, once we sort of let it go, we finally feel the exhaustion.  She'll often refer to it as emotional energy or trying to contain holding in emotional energy.  ???

Wise therapist!