It is real!

Started by Jazzy, December 01, 2017, 03:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazzy

Greetings Everyone!

I first posted in OOTF forums. While it is a great community, and certainly helpful, it wasn't exactly what I am looking for right now. I very recently read about this thing called CPTSD (from childhood neglect and abuse), which much to my amazement, closely resembled my own life.

It has been quite an eventful year for me, there have been a lot of changes, and a lot of hurt. While I wish it were easier, it's brought me to a place where I've felt more hopeful than I ever have. I've been misdiagnosed a lot. I've been through really bad times, and no one seemed to care enough to see it changed. I had given up on ever finding treatment, and I became convinced by professionals that I was wrong in identifying my own thoughts and feelings.

Psychiatrists have given me a variety of diagnoses over the years, and therapists have told me things like they can't help me anymore, it's impossible to recover because I can't go back to being a child, etc.

So, all this to ask what I expect many others have before me: How do I convince others (especially professionals treating me) that CPTSD is a real, and very serious thing?

Jazzy

Three Roses

Hello and welcome, jazzy! I'm glad you're here.

CPTSD is coming into its own as a separate disorder from PTSD. Australia is way ahead of the rest of the world, it seems, in their recognition and treatment of it.

We have some printable documents here - http://www.outofthestorm.website/downloads/

They've been helpful for informing our health care professionals. Still, some are resistant.

If you have any questions, please ask. Thanks for joining!
:heythere:

AphoticAtramentous

Welcome to the forum, mate. I'm glad you've found out about CPTSD and find it's very similar to how you're feeling. Can be such a huge relief to finally find something that fits you.

Blueberry

Welcome on here jazzy  :heythere: It's great you found us!

ThreeRoses has given you the link already. So I'll just say I'm sorry you heard those clueless things from therapists. I've heard a few in my time as well. CPTSD is real. I'm sorry you have it too but it can be a relief to finally have a name for all that stuff.

Hope to see you about the boards.

sanmagic7

welcome, jazzy, very glad you found us.

this forum has been very helpful to me re: recovery and healing, sometimes more so than professionals.  i've had similar experiences to yours, and it does get disheartening. 

hang tough, jazzy - we're hangin' right beside you.

Kat

Wow.  So disappointed with the "professionals" you've seen, Jazzy.  I'm so sorry for what they've put you through. 

On the other hand, I'm so glad you're here!  Welcome!  CPTSD is certainly a beast, and it has a naughty habit of shape-shifting.  By that I mean that what one person experiences isn't necessarily exactly what another does.  There are a lot of variables.  I'm hopeful that you find a match out there--a therapist who sees you and gets it.  It may take some searching, but I have to believe you will find that person.

Until then (and even after), read the boards, read books, learn as much as you can, and keep posting here!  I look forward to learning more about you when you're ready.

Jazzy

Thanks everyone! You are all awesome! :thumbup:

I was just looking through some of the forum categories here, and I'm having notable emotional reactions reading some of the topics of posts.

Has anyone else felt like that? Are there any recommendations on the best way to deal with it?

Jazzy

Three Roses

Just be sure to move at a pace that's right for you. If you start feeling anxious, or small & helpless, take a break. Rushing recovery can reinjure you so it's more than just a polite cliche when I say, go at your own rate.  :yes:

Rainagain

Hi Jazzy
I felt like that a lot when I first started reading posts, still do sometimes.

For me it was like finding pieces of my personal puzzle and clicking them into place.

As three roses said, go at your own pace, the puzzle pieces are here, no rush to find them all, pause to look at the whole picture that is being created as you go along.

goth_mike

Welcome!

I found too that it was a huge relief when I finally found the concept of CPTSD which fits perfectly with my experience and symptoms.  As a read more on the subject, many of the books and articles seemed to be describing me as a case study!  It was also a relief to find that I was not alone in feelings, experiences and their results (although I do still think it is sad as I would not wish it on ANYONE else, let alone the kind peoples on here who have been extremely supportive (Thanks guys and girls!!)).  This, like yourself, was after various misdiagnoses and being told full-on inaccuracies by supposed "professionals" and "experts".

I find a good way to convince others who've not previously heard of it is to show them a copy of Pete Walker's book on the subject - many can relate to it even though it was never something they'd previously considered.

It seems to be gradually gaining recognition, and now appears on the official NHS website (over here in the UK) as a distinct diagnosis, which has to be a step in the right direction.

One reason many professionals may be reluctant to admit to CPSTD as a unique injury however, is that inclusion in diagnostic manuals would result in them turning from huge volumes into little pamphlets, as I have found all my previous misdiagnoses to be symptoms of CPSTD rather than a whole series of separate and unexplained "disorders" from which there was no recovery.  It also explains why prescribed medication did absolutely nothing positive for me (quite the opposite in some cases) (note I am not attempting to counter the usefulness of medications - they are incredibly helpful to some individuals - just not this one!)

Jazzy

Well said goth_mike.

It's interesting how many things are symptoms of untreated CPTSD. I'm looking for a blessing in disguise, but maybe the fact that we have so few psychiatrists to patients here will help me. The average wait time is about 2 years to see a psychiatrist, and they work long hours at both private practice, and government (hospital). It does not seem like an appealing job at all, but I am certainly glad for those who work it!