Anyone take this?

Started by Elphanigh, December 13, 2017, 12:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elphanigh

So I am looking to get a new medication (have been off of them for quite a while). Wanted to see if anyone has taken propanalol?  It has been suggested for me by my T that has had some experience with it, and knows what I need the med to do for me. I just want to do some reading and see if I can find anyone that has more experience with it. I have to find a new psych so I am nervous about it.

Three Roses

I take propranolol daily and have had no trouble with it. I don't really even notice that I have taken it, only when I miss it.

Elphanigh

Thanks, Three Roses. I am really still mildly fearful of medication. Always apprehensive I guess. It is good to head that you don't notice any problem with it. We just want to bring my levels down a bit, and she has someone else that it does just that for

EliseB

I've tried it.  It is helpful to take the edge off.  There is research about its usefulness for PTSD.  I don't take it every day, just as needed, for example if I am going to a family event and find myself getting all worked up thinking about the past...  It's not super strong although it can make me a little tired, so I'm on a low dose.  Best of luck!

Elphanigh

Rainagain

I have taken this in the past, didn't do a great deal but no side effects, bonus!

Elphanigh

Slackjaw99

I use it as needed. It blocks adrenalin at post synaptic sites in the peripheral nervous system thus helping to tone down the sympathetic nervous system.  It stacks great with clonidine which blocks adrenalin at pre synaptic sites in the central nervous system.  Ideal for those of us plagued by tremors, shaky voice, etc caused by the typical imbalance between sympathetic / parasympathetic NSs. Another med, minipress (Prazosin) taken together might also greatly boost the effectiveness of propranolol given the two block adrenalin at complementary post-synaptic sites.

There is some research that suggest that taking propranolol immediately after a traumatic event can lessen the impact.