What would you most want to know about cptsd?

Started by ah, December 19, 2017, 01:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ah

So, erm... it's a hard time for me lately. I feel I've lost hope  :fallingbricks: and I've been busy with my pain. But I also see there's literally no information about cptsd in my first language (not English). The little I see being written by opportunistic therapists isn't just imprecise, it's misleading and unethical and makes me uneasy.
So many people suffer and therapists and lay people alike just have no clue.

So I feel obligated to try to give someone else a bit of hope through a website.
I'm still abused all the time so I won't put my name on the site but I'll make it as comprehensive as I can, with whatever may attract someone's attention.

I was wondering: back when you didn't know about cptsd, what would you most want to know? What's the most important thing that would help you on such a site?
Or things.
And now, after reading and discussing cptsd, what would you most like to know about it still? If you could have any aspect of cptsd explored what would you choose to find out about?

Thanks   :disappear:

Three Roses

Hmmm... I guess I would have liked to know, that it comes from injury - that there is a difference between PTSD and CPTSD, both in origin and how it should be treated (wrong treatment can create further injuries).

I would most like to know about successful treatments and therapies that heal the brain (as opposed to the mind).

woodsgnome

I wish I'd known how persistent the symptoms really are, and how deceptive it is when I think I've made progress, and in short order felt defeated and discouraged again. In an odd twist, I found it takes mountains of patience and self-compassion for even a small slice of recovery; and then wish things would speed up.

I wish I'd known so much of the journey is one of not knowing. Not knowing what's wrong, but suspecting that I don't really want to know, either. That means accepting pain, which we all try to avoid, but in this instance can't. So more on how to deal with that, and how to draw strength for the grueling task of doing so. Along with this is finding and/or keeping any motivation to want to deal with any of this anymore.

As to this forum, I had no idea what I would find, but felt a strong pull that if I didn't try to somehow connect with others, I was letting go of a very thin rope to keep some sanity about this. So discovering others, how they've dealt with this and being able to share some things that can't, for all the usual reasons (put-downs, misunderstanding, false sympathy, etc.), be openly discussed with very many people.

What would I choose to find out about? Hope. Deep self-compassion. I have to find those, still don't know how, but I've tried--so hard. Plus I worry that I can't make it any further; that I've maxed out and am doomed to this aching loneliness and life lived in a bubble of grief.  :disappear:

BlancaLap

I would like to know how to connect with myself and with the reality, because what I used to do seems to don't serve anymore. I wish i would know what to do in every moment and don't have to ask myself what would be the "most appropiate thing to do", even though there is no answer to that question; I wish I could see that properly, all of that. I wish I could see like I used to, and not have to ask myself every moment what to do. I wish I knew how to see the reality again and connect with myself again. I wish I knew how to find the meaning behind everything again.

Blueberry

Back then: if it was possible to get better from CPTSD and roughly how to treat - what options are available. Also difference PTSD and CPTSD, also that emotional abuse and emotional neglect can be enough to cause CPTSD.

For the other questions, I'll think on it and come back tomorrow.

ah, I had no idea that English isn't your first language! So that should tell you how good your English is  ;)

BlancaLap

Quote from: ah on December 19, 2017, 01:34:28 PM
So, erm... it's a hard time for me lately. I feel I've lost hope  :fallingbricks: and I've been busy with my pain. But I also see there's literally no information about cptsd in my first language (not English). The little I see being written by opportunistic therapists isn't just imprecise, it's misleading and unethical and makes me uneasy.
So many people suffer and therapists and lay people alike just have no clue.

So I feel obligated to try to give someone else a bit of hope through a website.
I'm still abused all the time so I won't put my name on the site but I'll make it as comprehensive as I can, with whatever may attract someone's attention.

I was wondering: back when you didn't know about cptsd, what would you most want to know? What's the most important thing that would help you on such a site?
Or things.
And now, after reading and discussing cptsd, what would you most like to know about it still? If you could have any aspect of cptsd explored what would you choose to find out about?

Thanks   :disappear:

Btw, which is your first language? Is it spanish?

ah

Quote from: BlancaLap on December 19, 2017, 10:36:15 PM
Btw, which is your first language? Is it spanish?

Not spanish, but thereabouts. Sort of. :whistling: :Idunno: :yes: :no:

I can understand some spanish though.

:hug:

Sorry I can't be less vague. My abuse is ongoing and endless so...  :disappear:

BlancaLap

Quote from: ah on December 20, 2017, 06:05:39 PM
Sorry I can't be less vague. My abuse is ongoing and endless so...  :disappear:

Sorry to hear that... :'(

ah

Wow! You've given me a lot to think about. I feel like I asked for a dish, and all of a sudden found myself sitting down to a banquet!

Three Roses,

Would you be willing to write a bit about the differences in treatment (between ptsd and cptsd)? I know some, but you may very likely know more that I don't know.

woodsgnome,

I guess if cptsd is the mt everest of therapy, then self compassion may be the mount everest of cptsd. It couldn't get any better than that, or any harder.

(Unrelated to the topic of this post, I feel like you.
There's only one thought that helps when I'm overwhelmed by the evidence of brain damage and autonomic system damage related to trauma: that there's evidence of brain changes in the exact same brain areas assumed to be related to trauma, when people meditate regularly.
It's the one thought that gives me a sliver of hope. It tells me change is - at least theoretically - possible.)

Blanca,

I was about to forget how important dissociation is, and the smallest daily struggles. Thanks...  :yes:

Blueberry,

Oh, emotional abuse and neglect. The hidden epidemic. Even harder than figuring out how to explain cptsd, I hope one can maybe help explain the other, and vice versa. Somehow.