Gallery show

Started by Sceal, December 19, 2017, 05:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sceal

I got a gallery show coming up next year. I'm supposed to do 3 art work until 18th of January. I've only so far been able to complete one of them.

The theme of the gallery show is fairytale and myths in related to psychiatric illness. It's a galleryshow for artists with mental illnesses.
I just wanted to ask you guys if you could tell me what you thought of my first edition.
It's made in charcoal. And the photo doesn't give an exact resemblance. The background is merging more together with the shadow on the real drawing.

Three Roses

It feels scary! But it makes me think about how someone can be beautiful physically but not inwardly.

Sceal

I was thinking of Beauty and the Beast as inspiration, how that could be one- and the same person. So I am very happy to see that you saw that.  :)
I wonder if someone else sees something different

M.R.

Sceal, I feel as I looked at that it kind of explains what I feel like I'm facing. There's me in the white nd the whole background is my trauma. It probably isn't what you meant by it, but it just gives me a feeling I can't explain.

And honestly I think its awesome. I can't draw worth anything...lol. I can sew and other creative things but drawing is not my strong suit.

MR

Blueberry

Scary, especially the Beast's white empty staring eyes in a big black body.

woodsgnome

What's striking for me is the brightly lit eyes, suggesting the beauty that emerges when the figure standing at the base emerges into the beautiful person who was always there, who will survive, and outlast the horror of the journey before. Back to the eyes...to me it says there's light even in the scariest places.

Sceal

I've always wanted to make art that resonates with other people, and it sounds to me that it has done that for you guys.  :cheer: It's kind of humbling, and a relief!

It's  really very interessting and motivating to hear what you think and what you associate with it. Things that I hadn't originally thought of, but I can see still makes very much sense.

Thank you for giving me the confidence to continue with the next piece in this series. It'll be different, but still the same theme.
:hug: :hug:

BlancaLap

It is obviously a drawn but from the colours it seems like an old photograph. Scary!

Sceal

Thanks BlancaLap. I used charcoal, which can be tricky to work with. Little room for mistakes.

I wanted to share my next one with you guys. I'd love to hear what you think. This one this forum gave me the inspiration for. When I decided to make it, I was inspired by, one could say, by the topic of inner critics.

Mussymel

Sceal both pieces are amazing. I had a physical reaction to the first one. I think it spoke to my pain. This one is also so expressive. They really are very good.

Sceal

Thank you Mussymel. I hope it wasn't a bad physical reaction, that I made things worse for you?

Mussymel

No Sceal not at all, what I meant was I identified with it immediately. Art that provokes a reaction is good art.

Hope67

I think your Art work is really good, Sceal. 
Hope  :)

Kat

Ah, yes...that slippery serpent that gets in your head.  I know it well.

Sceal

Sorry it took me so long to reply here.
Mussymel, I am glad it wasn't anything bad. :)

Hope: Thank you so much. If there was a blush emote I'd put it in right here.

Kat: Yeah, me too. I dont' know about you, but I'd like it to go away ;)