Dissociate from danger or from pain?

Started by BlancaLap, December 21, 2017, 11:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlancaLap

I used to think that dissociation was there to dissociate from the pain, but now I think it is there to protect you from the DANGER. It makes more sense, if your brain thinks there is some sort of danger from which you cannot escape, dissociation seems like a good way to protect your psyche. It is like the last resource your brain has to keep you safe.

I used to dissociate back instantly when trying to connect with myself because of the pain, but now I can't even do that. I dissociate instantly because of the feeling of DANGER. It's like there is something in the presente REALLY DANGEROUS, and I dissociate from that. It makes sense.

Relate?

ah

That makes a lot of sense to me, I think dissociation helps us when we're in danger and we're helpless to act or escape the situation. Danger and helplessness, and also the pain that accompanies them. So maybe it's to protect the mind and body from both danger and the pain that's felt when we're faced with that danger?

I remember reading that people in very dangerous situations usually don't develop trauma as long as they're able to run, move, do things to try to help themselves and others. But when there's nothing we can do, it becomes so painful that we can definitely dissociate.

DecimalRocket

Ah yes, dissociation actually is created in human beings to escape from emotions. It can actually be healthy in certain situations — when a particular tragic event happens like a loved one's death, so their intense distress over the situation is slowed down. This prevents doing something that can hurt themselves or others — like lashing out to others or even ending things for themselves.

But in lengthened periods of time, dissociation is a sign of disorder in the mind. To experience what it is to be human, you have to feel. Feel terror, joy, rage, relaxation, shame, amusement, hope, disgust and all types of emotions. And to numb is a separation between you to yourself and the rest of the human race.