International Society for Traumatic Stress studies

Started by alovelycreature, January 23, 2015, 12:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alovelycreature

They have links to clinicians who focus on complex PTSD. http://www.istss.org/

Has anyone had trouble finding therapists who specialize in CPSTD? The therapist who diagnosed me with it showed her true colors and appeared to have NPD, so I can't see her anymore. I'm finding it incredibly difficult and frustrating to not find the help.

marycontrary

Oh, God, I am so sorry about the Narc...man they can swim like sharks, can't they? I was seriously screwed over by one...has hundreds of youtube video on trauma (P.G. are the initials). Please try not to get discouraged. I can give you the contact for mine. I do phone counselling with him. Let me know, PM me

Kizzie

Hi Lovely - I too am having difficulty finding a T who has training in CPTSD.  I like my T as he uses a relational approach, but he has only worked with PTSD and I'm not certain he gets the differences between it and CPTSD. I live about 4 hours away from a large urban centre where there are all kinds of T's with trauma training and it's so frustrating to be close, but not close enough.   

Mary - I hadn't really ever thought of phone counselling (although now that I think about it one member mentioned she had had a phone session with Pete Walker).  How does it compare to more traditional face-to-face therapy do you find? 

marycontrary

Kizzie, it is great, and a lot more convenient. Especially when you are talking about triggering stuff, you can be wrapped up in a blanket with some tea, and not have to worry about driving home all upset.

You cam PM me and I can give you the name of mine...

C.

Great point about phone counseling.  Several years ago I worked with someone that way and I too found it so helpful and convenient and healing.  I may need to re-consider that option.

Kizzie

Could it be this easy lol?  I will PM you Mary, tks  :hug:

maeflye

Anamiame

LOL...if I can't make an appointment, I do a phone session with my T.  I don't think I could do it all the time...I tend to pull out my eyebrows when anxious and talking on the phone.  With chemo, they're almost non-existent anyway!   :blink: