foggy mind

• 18 Replies

BlancaLap

foggy mind
« on: December 27, 2017, 04:41:20 PM »
Anyone relate? What may help?

I remember yesteday I had to pay 20 because I forgot to pay my ticket before entering the trolley car...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:02:40 PM by BlancaLap »

Gromit

• View Profile
Re: foggy mind
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
I do relate, mentioned it to a GP who told me it was a menopausal symptom (she was obsessed, I am not there yet).

Can you clarify? I find I cannot remember names of things, people, but they return later. Plus I am completely at sea with mathematics but can sit and do a suduko puzzle. My intuition is spot on when other people have mislaid things. It gets worse with lots going on, I need space, time, quiet, hence the suduko which helps me to ignore everything else around me.

So, specific situations? Types of problems? Remembering?

Gromit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »

BlancaLap

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 04:58:44 PM »
Can't think, thinking is exhausting, feels like I have a fog in my head, everything feels unreal, problems with concentration, movement... feelings of confusion, like I don't know what's going on, inability to focus, memory problems, lack of mental clarity, anxiety...

BlancaLap

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »

Rainagain

• New member 27/9/17 cptsd diagnosed 20/9/17 oh well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:57:33 PM »
Hi blancalap,

I can relate, my memory is hopeless, I forget if I have done things or not, then I do dissociate as well which doesn't help.

Get plenty of rest if you can, it helps me to recognise and accept that I have no memory and not to blame myself when I forget simple things, like words, or what year it is.......

BlancaLap

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 07:01:51 PM »
Thanks Rainagain, I try to.

Blueberry

• 'Should' is never good for me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »
Can't think, thinking is exhausting, feels like I have a fog in my head, everything feels unreal, problems with concentration, movement... feelings of confusion, like I don't know what's going on, inability to focus, memory problems, lack of mental clarity, anxiety...

I have most of that, some of the time. I'm back in a period of exhaustion atm and find i've forgotten some basic facts I know e.g. the names of a friend's pets. That's not essential information, so OK to forget if it allows my brain to get back on track. But still feels weird. And I feel ashamed. How could I forget sth that's so important to a friend? I'm too young for Alzheimer's. it's not Alz. anyway.

In my teens it was like that most of the time. I don't know how I finished high school and graduated from university, but I did. Occasionally there were days of clarity, and wow what a difference.

What helped? Moving far, far away from FOO and eventually therapy. I remember when I was first in counselling, I said my head felt empty - that's really the way it felt - but the counsellor suggested that actually my head was really really full. She was right. Things improved when I started to get those voices and memories out of my head.

BlancaLap

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
What helped? Moving far, far away from FOO and eventually therapy. I remember when I was first in counselling, I said my head felt empty - that's really the way it felt - but the counsellor suggested that actually my head was really really full. She was right. Things improved when I started to get those voices and memories out of my head.

Thanks Blueberry, I think that is really helpful information.

Rainagain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 09:41:43 PM »
I wonder about Alzheimer's too, its pretty similar I think.

But I'm not too bothered, deal with it if I need to.

Think the meds don't help either, are you on meds blanca, can't remember....

BlancaLap

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »
Think the meds don't help either, are you on meds blanca, can't remember....

Yes I am, olanzapine and fluoxetine, but I'm trying to leave them. They don't seem to help me...

Rainagain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 10:00:45 PM »
I didn't find fluoxetine to be too bad for side effects but it varies so widely between people.

Not heard of olanzapine, a lot of drugs can have a sedating effect though which will bash up your memory.

You can be sure lots on here have memory issues just from meds never mind the actual disorder, I think I do and some stuff I have had is totally outrageous.

High amatryptiline dosage left me like a zombie.

BlancaLap

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »
High amatryptiline dosage left me like a zombie.

Sorry to hear that. Olanzapine have * me up too, I'm gonna leave it and maybe keep with fluoxetine. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to not take olanzapine.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:12:17 PM by Three Roses »

ah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
I'm no therapist, this is only based on my personal experience, but as far as I know, Olanzapine can definitely do that.
And taking Olanzapine strengthens the effects of Fluoxetine, so they both may have something to do with it.
They can lessen pain for sure, but I find they can also really strengthen dissociation.

I took meds in the past but I slowly, gradually stopped taking them because I felt they weren't worth the side effects. They numbed my pain which was good, but they also took away my strength to deal with pain so I felt weaker and more frustrated.

Without them I feel more awake, my memory is better, I'm less numbed.
I have more pain, I remember more traumatic experiences from my past, I'm more aware of EF's in the present, I feel a lot of emotions... many of them are very overwhelming and hard to manage, but I also have more strength to deal with it all. If that makes sense. I'm stronger without the meds. I'm in pain but I'm more present with my pain.

I also feel I have better self control without them. I have more emotional stability and more patience and trust in my ability to bounce back after a flashback or intense pain.

I'm really glad I tried meds, taking them wasn't a mistake. It was a good idea to try them, now I know I tried everything that was available. It helped me figure out what's right for me and what isn't.

BlancaLap

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 10:07:12 AM »
I'm no therapist, this is only based on my personal experience, but as far as I know, Olanzapine can definitely do that.

Now that I remember, I got stuck in dissociation when I started taking olanzapine, so I don't know if it was because of the abuse or because of the medication now... the only thing I know is that I'm so angry at psychiatrists... I'm angry at the psychiatrist that gave me olanzapine... so angry...