foggy mind

Started by BlancaLap, December 27, 2017, 04:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlancaLap

Anyone relate? What may help?

I remember yesteday I had to pay 20€ because I forgot to pay my ticket before entering the trolley car...

Gromit

I do relate, mentioned it to a GP who told me it was a menopausal symptom (she was obsessed, I am not there yet).

Can you clarify? I find I cannot remember names of things, people, but they return later. Plus I am completely at sea with mathematics but can sit and do a suduko puzzle. My intuition is spot on when other people have mislaid things. It gets worse with lots going on, I need space, time, quiet, hence the suduko which helps me to ignore everything else around me.

So, specific situations? Types of problems? Remembering?

BlancaLap

Can't think, thinking is exhausting, feels like I have a fog in my head, everything feels unreal, problems with concentration, movement... feelings of confusion, like I don't know what's going on, inability to focus, memory problems, lack of mental clarity, anxiety...

Rainagain

Hi blancalap,

I can relate, my memory is hopeless, I forget if I have done things or not, then I do dissociate as well which doesn't help.

Get plenty of rest if you can, it helps me to recognise and accept that I have no memory and not to blame myself when I forget simple things, like words, or what year it is.......

BlancaLap

Thanks Rainagain, I try to.

Blueberry

Quote from: BlancaLap on December 27, 2017, 04:58:44 PM
Can't think, thinking is exhausting, feels like I have a fog in my head, everything feels unreal, problems with concentration, movement... feelings of confusion, like I don't know what's going on, inability to focus, memory problems, lack of mental clarity, anxiety...

I have most of that, some of the time. I'm back in a period of exhaustion atm and find i've forgotten some basic facts I know e.g. the names of a friend's pets. That's not essential information, so OK to forget if it allows my brain to get back on track. But still feels weird. And I feel ashamed. How could I forget sth that's so important to a friend? I'm too young for Alzheimer's. it's not Alz. anyway.

In my teens it was like that most of the time. I don't know how I finished high school and graduated from university, but I did. Occasionally there were days of clarity, and wow what a difference.

What helped? Moving far, far away from FOO and eventually therapy. I remember when I was first in counselling, I said my head felt empty - that's really the way it felt - but the counsellor suggested that actually my head was really really full. She was right. Things improved when I started to get those voices and memories out of my head.

BlancaLap

Quote from: Blueberry on December 27, 2017, 08:36:38 PM
What helped? Moving far, far away from FOO and eventually therapy. I remember when I was first in counselling, I said my head felt empty - that's really the way it felt - but the counsellor suggested that actually my head was really really full. She was right. Things improved when I started to get those voices and memories out of my head.

Thanks Blueberry, I think that is really helpful information.

Rainagain

I wonder about Alzheimer's too, its pretty similar I think.

But I'm not too bothered, deal with it if I need to.

Think the meds don't help either, are you on meds blanca, can't remember....

BlancaLap

Quote from: Rainagain on December 27, 2017, 09:41:43 PM
Think the meds don't help either, are you on meds blanca, can't remember....

Yes I am, olanzapine and fluoxetine, but I'm trying to leave them. They don't seem to help me...

Rainagain

I didn't find fluoxetine to be too bad for side effects but it varies so widely between people.

Not heard of olanzapine, a lot of drugs can have a sedating effect though which will bash up your memory.

You can be sure lots on here have memory issues just from meds never mind the actual disorder, I think I do and some stuff I have had is totally outrageous.

High amatryptiline dosage left me like a zombie.

BlancaLap

Quote from: Rainagain on December 27, 2017, 10:00:45 PM
High amatryptiline dosage left me like a zombie.

Sorry to hear that. Olanzapine have * me up too, I'm gonna leave it and maybe keep with fluoxetine. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to not take olanzapine.

ah

I'm no therapist, this is only based on my personal experience, but as far as I know, Olanzapine can definitely do that.
And taking Olanzapine strengthens the effects of Fluoxetine, so they both may have something to do with it.
They can lessen pain for sure, but I find they can also really strengthen dissociation.

I took meds in the past but I slowly, gradually stopped taking them because I felt they weren't worth the side effects. They numbed my pain which was good, but they also took away my strength to deal with pain so I felt weaker and more frustrated.

Without them I feel more awake, my memory is better, I'm less numbed.
I have more pain, I remember more traumatic experiences from my past, I'm more aware of EF's in the present, I feel a lot of emotions... many of them are very overwhelming and hard to manage, but I also have more strength to deal with it all. If that makes sense. I'm stronger without the meds. I'm in pain but I'm more present with my pain.

I also feel I have better self control without them. I have more emotional stability and more patience and trust in my ability to bounce back after a flashback or intense pain.

I'm really glad I tried meds, taking them wasn't a mistake. It was a good idea to try them, now I know I tried everything that was available. It helped me figure out what's right for me and what isn't.

BlancaLap

Quote from: ah on December 29, 2017, 09:17:10 AM
I'm no therapist, this is only based on my personal experience, but as far as I know, Olanzapine can definitely do that.

Now that I remember, I got stuck in dissociation when I started taking olanzapine, so I don't know if it was because of the abuse or because of the medication now... the only thing I know is that I'm so angry at psychiatrists... I'm angry at the psychiatrist that gave me olanzapine... so angry...