How Being a Jack of all Trades Taught Me About Acceptance.

Started by DecimalRocket, December 30, 2017, 10:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecimalRocket

I've never felt so deeply accepting of myself and my life as much as today.

I look back at the year before me, and wonder, what did I learn? What was the most essential thing I've learned?

It it was the myth of the ideal.

In all my years of having more interests and hobbies than anyone else I've known, have I seen anyone I reasonably knew enough about to judge them if they were perfect? Had perfect lives, strengths, and successes?

No.

I've seen athletes and musicians damaged over their strict coaches, Harvard physicists deeply insecure of their intelligence, Youtubers of entertainment videos afraid of how they show up to their fans and artists cringing over their older and present creative projects.

I've seen people of parenting blogs believing they aren't good enough to their kids, programmers who believe they don't work on their codes enough, fitness lovers who believe they aren't muscular enough, and political activists who are deeply unsure of their beliefs.

I've seen people from travel blogs that remember their times getting afraid by the new culture around them, mathematicians who used to be anxious or bored around math, educators upset about no one ever thanking them and millionaires CEOs who are deeply insecure of their success.

I've seen world famous models who hate their appearance, professional and hobbyist philosophers who worry about the meaning of life, students who are upset over their lack of grades and religious people who believe they aren't following the spiritual standards they place upon themselves.

Not one single person was perfect.

I was taught this lesson over and over, but I never trusted it as deeply as now. . . when I've seen it for myself.

I don't know if it lasts, but today, I think I'm enough.