Managing Anxiety: Service/Support animals?

Started by PDXKana, January 11, 2018, 02:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDXKana

I've been pretty quiet here. Only doing an intro post a couple months back and then dropping of the face of the planet for a while. Most of that was due to my "beloved" technology being ... bratty. But also stress from everything.

Brief backstory: I was repeatedly raped at 21-22 by my boyfriend at the time. Then he started stalking/cyberstalking me. This has been going on for over 20 years now. I also have some childhood stuff thanks to my mother being emotionally abusive. But the physical from my 20's is much stronger. I've done therapy over the years and have dealt with a lot of the actual stuff that happened, but a bit over a year ago, an acquaintance touched me, albeit with non-sexual intent, and that triggered flashbacks. I've gotten even more anxious about being out in public on mass transit, getting to a point where I was really angry because of an obnoxious drunk person a couple weeks ago. I'm also "between homes" (i.e. homeless), staying with friends.

So, I have a cat who is currently my Emotional Support Animal. I can't take her places, but when I return from being out and about and have had a bad day on transit, I can shove my face in her super-floofiness and let her purr ground me again.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten a PTSD Service Dog. I'm looking into it and a friend of a friend is helping me 'vet' the training companies. She said the breed of dog I'm looking at (dobermans) tend to not do as well. They fail training a lot and tend to be too loyal/protective. I would think for PTSD, you want a dog that's going to be protective. I can't get one yet, not with my unstable housing situation. Also... $$$$. A well-trained service dog is NOT cheap.

So, has anyone gotten a service dog? How has having them helped you? What breeds?

Thanks,
Kana

Rainagain

Hi,

I don't have an official PTSD service dog but when things were at their worst for me 2 years ago I got a Rottweiler cross pup from a shelter.

She helped me greatly in so many ways, she is my best friend and I just adore her.

She is protective of me but not aggressive, just stays close and watches me a lot, we are inseparable.

I now have another rescue dog as well, this second one is really just a dog rather than a person to me so I think breed and temperament are important.

I hope you settle somewhere so you can get a dog, my dog is an important part of my life, a real benefit to me.

Dee

I actually have two fully trained dogs.  I have a day dog and a night dog.  I started with one and they told me then they thought I needed two.  Even a dog needs a break from work.  So when my first guy got overwhelmed they urged me to get a second and it's been good.  There is a lot to understand about having a service dog.  It can seem like another disability.  There is always concerns about the dog, is it imposing on friends, do they have to go to the bathroom, going to the bathroom just to give them water so no is offended.  Then there is the discrimination.  Most people I think, think I am faking it.  That is until I prove the service dog is real with a breakdown or panic attack.  I am unsure what is worse, doubt or proving it is real.  Also a dog gets a lot of attention, people ask what is wrong with me all the time, shockingly so.

But then....then there was the time I had a breakdown in the airport and without my dog I would have had to go home.  Because of my dog I saw my son graduate basic training.  I just had another trip where a guy standing in line behind me would have caused a panic attack, but my dog kept him at a distance.  There are the nights I wake up in a panic and my dog comforts me; or sometimes wakes me up.  When I use to self harm my dog wouldn't leave me alone until I stopped. 

My night guy is a chihuahua.  My day girl is a german shepherd mix.  I keep the chihuahua at home mostly due to the discrimination.  Apparently a big dog is more acceptable.

lambchop

Quote from: Dee on January 11, 2018, 05:29:01 AM

I actually have two fully trained dogs.  I have a day dog and a night dog.  I started with one and they told me then they thought I needed two.  Even a dog needs a break from work.  So when my first guy got overwhelmed they urged me to get a second and it's been good.  There is a lot to understand about having a service dog. 

I'm hoping you could provide more specifics. What was the process for getting a service dog for emotional needs?  Was it a therapist who suggested you get a dog?  Where did you find the dog? Was the dog already trained or did you have to train or get the dog trained? Unlike an ESA (emotional support animal) I presume your dog where's a vest.

My cat was registered as an ESA and I took her just about anywhere. She passed away and am weighing the options about getting a service dog or getting a dog and registering the dog as an ESA (much simpler process I'm sure).

Thanks much,

Dee

I had to get a letter from my Dr. saying I need a dog.  It could have said greatly benefit, but she wrote need.  It was my idea and I asked my phycologist who loved the idea and support it 100%.

Then I went through an organization that trains and pairs dogs to those that need it.  She was mostly trained when I was paired with her, then I spent a week (long days) training her to my specific tasks and needs.  She wears a vest, though not required by law.  She has had to go through several rounds of testing and I also keep logs.

Let me know if you have more questions or need me to expand on anything.