Because of takeout..

Started by Elphanigh, January 04, 2018, 04:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elphanigh

I haven't posted a ton in this part of the forum, but I read it all the time. Hoping this is okay here, but currently not trusting my own judgement too much. I am coming out of an ef that came from out of basically nowhere. I had ordered Chinese food but two hours later hadn't gotten it, so I did the brave thing and called them. Somehow despite my confirmation number and such they don't have the order and can't do anything. I barely have food in my house becaus I have had time to get any since I have returned, and I am worried with work being so slow that I won't truly have any..

Somehow them not receiving this order sent me spinning. Like a wall of emotions, back to feeling small, useless, dependent... questioning everything I say or do. I felt so much like that little girl again. It is hard to catch myself in these sometimes. Like it is so easy to slip into an ef because they are so easily caused by stupid things.

I am frustrated at myself for that little thing to have brought out so much and sent me back to that place. Frustrated that I could let stupid things trigger me like that still. It was in fact just food..

Anyone else ever have odd things trigger their ef?

BlancaLap

I think yes, but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't say much more right now

Libby12

Hi Elphanigh.

The situation you talk about is exactly the sort of thing that frequently sends me into EFs.  Things that are probably just mistakes. Things that can be viewed as poor service. For years, I did not understand why I got so upset about things that my dh would just sort of shrug his shoulders at.

For me, I think these situations produced deep EFs because,  in these situations,  it felt like I was being told "Your order/time/request is not important. Other orders are more important so your order has been overlooked.  Tough!!"  I'm sure you get the idea.  This echoed my entire childhood where my needs were of no consequence. Everyone else came before me.

Once I became aware of EFs,  and their feelings of being small and powerless,  it all made sense.  Now, I cope with such inconveniences much better.  I might be irritated but I do not go into an EF.  Instead of seeing the situation as a result of me being unimportant,  I see it as an unfortunate error.

So I absolutely understand you and hope that the explanation which worked for me might be just a little bit helpful to you.

All the best.

Libby

Elphanigh

Blancalap, thank you for validating me. You never have to say much I promise.

Libby, that explanation is very helpful. I reread it a few times and it resonated very well with me