Should I tell them? Advice please!

Started by LittleBirdy, January 09, 2018, 03:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBirdy

So I'm moving into a college dorm for the first time in about two weeks and I'm debating on whether or not to tell my roommate(s) (they won't tell me who I'm living with for another 24 hours aahhh!) about having CPTSD. The reason I'm debating it is because I have anxiety habits that may be seen as odd to an outsider. For example, whenever i have a horrific nightmare, I will get up and lock the door. There have been times my bf said I did this and I dont even remember. I just don't want to get a reputation of being crazy you know? So I don't know if it's best to bite the bullet and tell them because of my inexplicable behaviors or to just not say anything and then they get frustrated with me because they don't know why I do these things.  ???

Sceal

This is a hard question.
Unless they have had any experience with ptsd, I don't think they will understand.
I've often been in similar situation (although, not living with strangers) and I just ended up telling them that i got anxiety. And if I ended up being close and trusted the person I might eventually tell them more.

Dee

Maybe you should meet them and then go from there.  The answer might be clearer then.

Three Roses

Personally, I wouldn't share any info without getting to know them a bit first. I also wouldn't share anything with them that I didn't want them to repeat. It's just been my experience that others don't really "get" it, and they will discuss it with others to try to understand it.

When pressed, I have just told people I have a stress disorder that's similar to PTSD and let the conversation develop naturally. I have told very few people irl about this, and its causes.

Kizzie

What about talking to the college (a counselor who must maintain confidentiality rather than housing might be the place to start),  about having CPTSD and see if they can/will help you deal with this? IMO dealing with this sooner rather than later is probably the best approach as your trauma responses will eventually be noticeable to whatever roommate you end up with.  You never know, the institution may have accommodation policies in place for this kind of issue.  :Idunno:

LittleBirdy

Quote from: Kizzie on January 09, 2018, 09:31:33 PM
What about talking to the college (a counselor who must maintain confidentiality rather than housing might be the place to start),  about having CPTSD and see if they can/will help you deal with this? IMO dealing with this sooner rather than later is probably the best approach as your trauma responses will eventually be noticeable to whatever roommate you end up with.  You never know, the institution may have accommodation policies in place for this kind of issue.  :Idunno:
the college does have liscenced psychologists and whatnot so I actually did plan on going to see one of them. As for accommodations, never thought of that actually. I'm so used to toughing things out when I shouldn't guess it never truely occurred to me that it could help  :Idunno:

Kizzie

Quotethe college does have liscenced psychologists and whatnot so I actually did plan on going to see one of them. As for accommodations, never thought of that actually. I'm so used to toughing things out when I shouldn't guess it never truely occurred to me that it could help

You have (sadly) hit the head on the nail about CPTSD LittleBirdy - many of us ARE so used to dealing with things on our own that we don't think sometimes to ask for help.  I ndo hope the college can help you out with this.  Most organizations have accommodation policies in places so you never know.  You may need a letter from your T or GP so may involve some leg work but how great would it be if you had one less (big) worry about your studies?  Wishing you luck and plse let us know how you make out.   

ah

They may also have a support group of students going through similar things, maybe? If there are such groups the students in them may have so much to offer; good practical advice as well as understanding and support.

I think if I were you I'd definitely try to see one of the psychologists, and bring some written stuff about cptsd with me when I talk to them. Just in case it helps.
I have a rare physical health problem, and I always have a study about it in my bag when I talk to doctors. Some are more open than others, but I've noticed they all really respect written material so it can definitely help.