Has anyone read "Supernormal" by Meg Jay?

Started by RecoveryRandal, January 10, 2018, 03:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RecoveryRandal

Has anyone read Supernormal: The Untold Story of Adversity and Resilience by Meg Jay?

A friend of mine who's ACOA (put doesn't have C-PTSD) is reading it. And I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has any impressions of the book. A description follows.

Thanks,
Randal

Clinical psychologist and author of The Defining Decade, Meg Jay takes us into the world of the supernormal: those who soar to unexpected heights after childhood adversity.

Whether it is the loss of a parent to death or divorce; bullying; alcoholism or drug abuse in the home; mental illness in a parent or a sibling; neglect; emotional, physical or sexual abuse; having a parent in jail; or growing up alongside domestic violence, nearly 75% of us experience adversity by the age of 20. But these experiences are often kept secret, as are our courageous battles to overcome them.

Drawing on nearly two decades of work with clients and students, Jay tells the tale of ordinary people made extraordinary by these all-too-common experiences, everyday superheroes who have made a life out of dodging bullets and leaping over obstacles, even as they hide in plain sight as doctors, artists, entrepreneurs, lawyers, parents, activists, teachers, students and readers. She gives a voice to the supernormals among us as they reveal not only "How do they do it?" but also "How does it feel?"

These powerful stories, and those of public figures from Andre Agassi to Jay Z, will show supernormals they are not alone but are, in fact, in good company.

Marvelously researched and compassionately written, this exceptional book narrates the continuing saga that is resilience as it challenges us to consider whether -- and how -- the good wins out in the end.

Three Roses

Resca

I haven't read it either but it sounds interesting. It could be helpful to read about others who have suffering childhood adversity but learned how to thrive not just because it show that we're "in good company" as the description suggests but also as a means a mining for ideas or wisdom for our own journeys.

The only caveat is that I think people suffering from cPTSD might need to be mindful of their frame of mind going into a more biographical book like this. Coming solely from personal experience, I still struggle with minimizing my childhood abuse because it was strictly emotional/psychological; coupled with the normal self-worth issues that come with cPTSD, this makes it hard for me to hear about the success of people who suffered physical, sexual, or so-called "more serious" forms of adversity without feeling like I'm blowing my own suffering out of proportion. Wallowing or exaggerating or begging for attention.  That said, it sounds like this book could have something inspirational to offer those who either don't suffer these same symptoms or are feeling strong enough to take in the wisdom.

Have you decided to read it, Recovery?

RecoveryRandal

Hi, Resca. No, I haven't read it yet.

I tend to be cautious about books like this, in case they are triggering for me. So, I was looking for people's opinions here before checking it out.

Cheers,
Randal

Resca

Hey Randal,

Yeah, that makes sense. I kind of felt the same way. But I do thank you for bringing it up here - I'd like to be able to read it when I'm a bit more stable.

Let us know if you give it a shot? I'd love to know your thoughts.