Interesting words

Started by Three Roses, January 12, 2018, 04:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three Roses

I saw a couple of posts in a thread about liking interesting words - I thought it might make an interesting thread of its own! So here are the first two, feel free to add others!

Petrichor (/ˈpɛtrɪkɔːr/) is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. The word is constructed from Greek πέτρα petra, meaning "stone", and ἰχώρ īchōr, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology.

Metanoia - the journey of changing one's heart, mind, self, or way of life.

woodsgnome

I'd like to add a word I only first heard a little over a year ago.

Kintsugi

...a Japanese word referring to adding gold to enhance any repair job, originally to pottery, but it can also include repairing...ahem...one's life. While I'm probably in what some would call recovery, I call it 'looking for wholeness'. Recovery/wholeness is not  a certain destination, but involves a re-build, or re-framing, of what was so shattered, and nearly destroyed entirely. And Kintsugi describes the process involved.

I previously posted about this here:

http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=3659.msg21449;topicseen#msg21449

I have lots of words always in the process of re-framing; e.g. God to Great Spirit (gender neutral) and many others, but they all involve facets of Kintsugi.

Here's to the words you build (or repair) your life with  :) !

Elphanigh

I love all of those words. Thank you Three Roses for thinking to start this thread!  :cheer:  I would like to add a word or two.

Weltschmerz : German word literally translates to world-pains. It is the feeling of despair created by feeling the world on your shoulders

Geborgenheit: German word that is considered almost impossible to translate. It is associated with artists, often felt at intensely emotional moments, such as returning home after a long time, or holding someone you love. Essentially it means to exist and feel intensely in the moment

(I have been learning German if that wasn't obvious, lol)

Kat

Ooh...I like all of the words you all have shared.  I'd like to share a word that a friend of mine and a friend of hers came up with for that last little bit of milk (or other liquid) in the milk carton that is not enough to use, but hard to simply dump.  They decided that is a "jaffle" as in, "Oh, there's only a jaffle of cream left...not enough for my morning coffee, but it feels like such a waste to pour it down the drain." Now, I've looked up the word jaffle and it's a type of toasted sandwich in Australia, so not really a new word, but...  Feel free to use it as my friend intended and we'll see if we can't get it into common use!