The usual... problems with clients

Started by Blueberry, January 22, 2018, 04:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

As I wrote, the usual....

One client sick so turned down at short notice today, which is OK according to my contracts. Anotehr turned down at very short notice last week, which isn't OK, unless he was sick, which he didn't mention. I pointed that out but said I'd let it slide. Now I discover he hasn't paid into my account for the month. Nor did he reply to my email of last week. He didn't have to, but it would have been good. Because now I'm sitting thinking: Great. Knowing my luck, I'll prepare and he won't come.

I also did a piece of short contract work in my other field over the weekend for somebody who needed it fast and was going to collect it an hour ago. He hasn't. It is annoying. Not just that though. Because of the CPTSD and all my EFs it takes a lot of effort to stand up for myself whether speaking to the person directly when they next come or by email now, like the guy who's meant to be coming in an hour and a half, who cancelled at short notice last week.

I know I am making some progress in speaking up, like even getting cash in advance from the client with the rush job. But still I can feel the jitters a bit at standing up for myself.

I'm glad I'm keeping going freelance but for anybody who thought it was easy after childhood-onset interpersonal trauma, I feel I have to disillusion you. It might be for you, but it also might not be.

Gromit

Totally get it. If you work for yourself, which seems better than working for others, you have to deal with the money issue.

I work for myself too, I am clear, and treat everyone the same, but there are always some that try to push it, not sure if it is intentional or not.