New here

Started by Cookie72, February 14, 2018, 11:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie72

New here and not quite sure where I fit.

Possible trigger...

I was sexually abused (molested) by my father in my teens, reacted with self harm, suicide attempts, disordered eating, depression, went off to university and met my future husband aged 18, was moved in with him at 19 and married at 22. 

Turns out he wasn't quite the rescuer I thought, I've recently left him after 23 years of marriage, due in no small part to his 25+ years of coercing me into sex, as well as using prostitutes, and threatening/abusive behaviour towards the children.

Although I've never been diagnosed with either PTSD or CPTSD, I seem to fit the descriptors pretty well.  Currently seeing a therapist although I suspect I need someone with slightly different expertise, but trust is a massive issue for me so for now I'm sticking with her, as I do completely trust her.

Blueberry

Welcome Cookie72  :heythere:

I'm glad you found us and reached out. Yuo don't need an official diagnosis to be on here. It's great you feel you can trust your therapist! That's so important.

I'm sorry for what all you've been through. You'll find other people on here with similar stories. It usually helps to know we're not alone.

Tons of information on here and support too. Hope to see you around the forum.

Three Roses

Welcome, Cookie72! I'm glad you found us.
:heythere:

sanmagic7

hey, cookie, sounds like you came to the right place.  welcome. 

i have no official diagnosis, either, but i fit here like i've never fit in any support group before, either online or in reality.  i've found so much kindness, caring, and support here - i hope you find what you need as well.  so very glad you made it and took the chance of posting.  looking forward to hearing more from you when you're ready. 

Kizzie

Welcome Cookie  :heythere:   I am so sorry to hear of all that you have gone through  :hug:   If you feel the symptoms fit then you are where you need to be and I hope it is helpful for you. No official diagnosis is needed here.

That's great that you have a T you trust completely.  We do have some info sheets about CPTSD from the Blue Knot Foundation under "Resources:  that are written for mental health and medical professionals. Given you do trust your T maybe it would help her to understand what you are dealing with.  A lot of T's are not aware of Complex PTSD, just PTSD although word is getting out there more and more. 

Glad you found your way here.  :yes: