New to this whole thing...

Started by StartingOver, February 18, 2018, 09:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StartingOver

Hi guys! I just joined this site and I'm not even sure if I'm doing this right. I'm just looking for some people to make me feel less alone in what I'm experiencing.

I was diagnosed with CPTSD about two weeks ago. I've been seeing psychologists on and off for years. I've finally stuck with the same one for about a year now and she's wonderful. It's the first time I've been honest in therapy and I'm committed to getting better. When she told me that she's convinced I have CPTSD, I was kind of devastated. My father passed away when I was little, my mother was murdered, and I lost both of my grandparents who raised me. Both of my grandparents suffered from multiple illnesses and I took care of them up until they passed away. I've been having a really hard time with life--flashbacks, blaming myself, abusing alcohol, self-harm, restricting food, isolating myself from family and friends. She said that CPTSD just makes sense with the repeated losses and other childhood traumas.

I guess I'm just looking for examples of how other people dealt with being diagnosed.

Thanks in advance and best wishes.

Blueberry

Hello StartingOver and welcome to the forum!  :heythere:

You're right on target here. One of the great things about this forum is that we've all got first-hand experience with CPTSD. There's a lot of validation, support and information.

I have read on here that other people are devastated to get the diagnosis too. I wasn't. We're all different. I think having the diagnosis helps get proper treatment and it helped me accept myself and my long history of treatment. As in, this isn't 'just' depression.

I'm sorry you had so many losses in childhood.

Best wishes to you too. I hope to see you around the forum.  :wave:

Dee

Welcome!

I was so devastated with my diagnosis that I actually tried to give it back.  I said that I was fine, I don't want it, you can keep it.  The response was, it doesn't work that way, lol.  It took a few months and now I appreciate my diagnosis.  If it were not for CPTSD I would have several different ones.  I like that it can be wrapped neatly into one (almost).  I am also diagnosed with anorexia and major depressive disorder.  Though, I am spared having a diagnosis for a dissociative disorder because CPTSD covers it and a few others.

I have also struggled with self-harm, food restriction,  alcohol, and some isolation.

Now, I have a wonderful therapist and we slowly are making progress.  Sometimes it is a few steps forward and a few back, but that is okay.  I post often that recovery isn't linear. 

Ornuimar

It is very interesting to us.

คาสิโน gclub

Blueberry

(Welcome to the forum Ornuimar. This thread is rather inactive, so may I suggest you write your own introduction over on the Welcome Board http://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?board=10.0  You don't have to write much if you don't want to, no compulsion for particular information.)

Blueberry

Quote from: Blueberry on June 07, 2018, 10:48:45 AM
(You don't have to write much if you don't want to, no compulsion for particular information.)

Except we would be interested in why you've joined the forum. Do you have or think you may have cptsd? Or does a partner or family member have / may have cptsd?