Expressive writing for CPTSD?

Started by PeTe, February 27, 2018, 01:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeTe

Has anyone read about or tried expressive writing (e.g. as advocated by Pennebaker)? Here's a free explanation http://individuationing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Expressive-Writing-ebook.pdf

It's been shown to be highly positive for PTSD-sufferers. All it takes is writing a certain way for 20 minutes for 4 days, stating that spending longer on a trauma is not helpful. Does it help equally for CPTSD? In terms of CPTSD, would it make sense to focus on one traumatic period for 4 days, and then repeat the procedure for other traumas later?

woodsgnome

Thanks for the link.

Like most programs, I think it would appeal and be more useful for certain people than others. The key might be the focusing in on a traumatic incident for short enough periods via the quick off-the-top 20-minute writing sessions he suggests, for starters. This would tend, presumably, to avoid the pitfall of getting hung up on one aspect or another for too long or getting into the trap of repetitive over-analyzing.

It's easy to give up, too--I recently tried some writing similar to what's described and got so angry in the process it drove me off topic and into despair that I had to work so hard just to find the peace I so desperately seek.

I tend to do this scatterbrained approach. I end up knowing lots of information, but seemingly unable (or lacking motivation) to follow through what I'm learning about and developing to a point that's palpable and feels like real progress. It's like true recovery is so unknown, so foreign and scary, that it tricks me into falling back to my safer state of wanting to/not wanting to fully enter the new territory beyond cptsd. From surviving to thriving, as Pete Walker puts it..sounds wonderful, but...and...but...um...the doubts flood the system.

Given that, perhaps the writing program is worth incorporating into my current schema of reading, live therapy, using this site/forum's resources, while building courage to actually step forward. Someone I know is writing a book with a suggestive name along these lines...her working title: The Breakthrough Point. I already do lots of writing in several journals, but this program would at least present me with a consistent pattern from which to start.

That seems hard enough; then comes the tougher part--implementing a practical approach that fits with the cptsd sufferer's talents and interests as she/he navigates a rough and forbidding road. Perhaps this will be a good tool if I can stick with it--thanks for pointing it out, PeTe.

Regarding your questions, I tend to agree it would be beneficial to parcel out the various traumas rather than treat all of them as a blanket cover trauma. Painful, though, to sink in that deep; but like so much in this regard, it can be the only way--touch bottom and work up.

PeTe

I just did my first day of a four day writing. Decided to start with the bullying I experienced in school, since I know it's an important trauma for me. Later I can decide if I should repeat it for other traumas, but would like input from others whether it's good to repeat this process.

woodsgnome, thank you for your views. I agree that it seems logical to do four days on a trauma or two and then not write about that or other traumas for a long time, so I don't have to relive it all the time.

I'm sad to hear that you got very angry when you tried a writing technique. In the article they write about a flip out rule - if you think it's going to be too much to handle to write about something that happened/a feeling etc, then don't write about it. There are different techniques for writing about difficult feelings, and maybe a third person narrative (writing about yourself in the third person) would evoke a lower emotional response, and might be worth reading up on if you feel like trying writing again.