Should I Find A New Therapist?

Started by movementforthebetter, February 26, 2018, 03:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

movementforthebetter

(If one is asking, the answer is probably "yes")

I "have" a therapist who's on leave for a year or so. I have been without a therapist for 5 months.

I have a Dr that refills my med scrips and little else.

Thought I'd try and save money while my T was away. I've got issues that I've been pushing aside and that's impacting other areas of my life. I haven't listened to my voicemails since the summer. I haven't done dishes in weeks, since I got back from my work trip. I'm not cleaning my place; am lethargic in general. Not exercising at all.  These things gnaw at my self-worth. I'm not sure what the root is per se, just that I'm going through a long, quiet, self-destructive slow spiral and can't pull up on my own.

My therapist has helped me a lot. I feel like I need a team of therapists if I'm ever going to get "better".

And yet, I have had a number of bad experiences with people, so it's hard for me to trust.  So my relationship with my therapist feels somewhat irreplaceable. I've been holding out for things to get better. I try to tell myself hopeful things to motivate myself, but they're just empty words.

Anyone have any validation/advice?

Elphanigh

I want to validate how hard it is to suddenly not have access to ones therapist. I have been there, although I only went about four months without her. It is a difficult transition. I also had some of the same impact you are experiencing, although I am having it now as well with some other difficult things.

In my opinion, it could be good to look for a bit of help just until your regular T is back. That can be a difficult thing, and it may not be quite the same as your usual T but could give you a much needed outlet.

I am sitting with you no matter what you decide  :hug:

sanmagic7

mftb, since you've been back, all these 'neg.' things have been going on.  it may be a transition period from what you were doing, that entire experience, to your day-to-day  routine once again.  yeah, i can see how you'd be missing your t.  there could have been a lot of help, grounding, and support for the transition.

perhaps seeing someone till your reg. t gets back could be helpful, especially if you can treat it as an interim counseling experience.  you could keep your 'presenting problem' (the 'why are you here' question that most t's ask in the beginning) specific to the present struggles you're going thru without all the history/c-ptsd stuff that you and your reg. t have worked on.

i don't think it's unusual to have transition periods like this - even when i've gone on vacation for a week or so, i've learned to come back a day early just to re-orient myself to dealing with my normal daily schedule.  just my thoughts.  big hug.

Rainagain

Mftb,

I like your opening line, if you have to ask the answer is indeed probably 'yes'

I actually don't think you have a therapist, if they take a year off and don't hand you on to someone decent then they appear to have dropped the ball.

The failure on the housekeeping chores is very familiar to me, it erodes self esteem still further.

If you need T support then seek it out, by the time your old T reappears you will hopefully be in a different place with your new T so the old one won't be even be relevant any more.