Cellulite

Started by Gromit, February 27, 2018, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

Just read a newsletter from Victoria Health.

'According to a study published in the Journal of European Academy of Dermatology, cellulite can be caused by increased levels of the stress hormone, cortisol. Researchers found that individuals who had chronically elevated cortisol levels were much more likely to have cellulite, although it is of course hereditary too.'

So, I can blame my cellulite on my mother? She could never understand why I had it, used to talk about my grandmother who had lovely skin, not a sign of cellulite. Yep, thanks. I could never attribute it to being fat as I was always underweight (stress). I blamed the food she fed me, but it may have been more than just the food.

G

sanmagic7

i believe wholeheartedly that elevated and/or prolonged chronic stress can wreak havoc with any and all of our body's systems, including what kind of fat cells are being produced.  i don't think any part of our body is immune to the effects of stress. 

we've seen on the forum how many different physical symptoms, illnesses, and disorders people have that lead back to being an effect of stress.  i think a lot of people underestimate what stress does to us physically, including the health professions.   so many of our survival mechanisms go straight to an attempt to alleviate dangerous stress in one way or another.  i think we've always intrinsically known how bad it is for us. 

not that some stress isn't good for us, as someone else here pointed out.  elevated stress hormones warn us and help us to get out of dangerous situations.  it's the chronic type that ends up hurting us. 

sorry about your cellulite, gromit.  also sorry about the neg. comparison to 'smooth' skin.  just like body shapes, we all have different types of skin.  who's to judge?    :hug:

Gromit

Thanks Sanmagic7
I don't really care about cellulite. Family comparisons were mostly negative, don't care about them either.

It's just another thing to add to the list though, immunity problems, period problems, IBS, depression, anxiety, probably back pain. I wonder if my Raynauds is linked too?

That's without the nightmares & EF's.

I know I have less symptoms than many though, I will be grateful for that.

Three Roses

This is interesting! Thanks, gromit  :heythere:

Blueberry

Rainagain

San has nailed it,

Stress can harm us in all sorts of ways.

Raynaud's is an autoimmune condition I think, (at least i have a friend with Raynauds and also autoimmune conditions) and stress damages our immunity systems so it may well be related.

Gromit

Quote from: Rainagain on March 01, 2018, 06:39:09 PM

Raynaud's is an autoimmune condition I think, (at least i have a friend with Raynauds and also autoimmune conditions) and stress damages our immunity systems so it may well be related.

Not sure about the autoimmune part, although it is linked to Rheumatoid Arthritis which I have had an elevated reading for. As the cold weather has brought out articles about circulation problems Raynauds may be caused by stress/anxiety. Ah,