How to tell my kids why I went NC with my mother?

Started by salto, March 03, 2018, 09:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salto

I've been NC with my mother and LC with my father for 8 months now. I haven't really told my son about it.  But soon he's turning 7 and he expects his grandparents to come and celebrate him......We're planning a big party with lots of his friends and his grandparents on his fathers side. How do I tell him that his maternal grandparents are not invited?  Any suggestion ?

Dee

I wish I did, but I don't.  I feel for you.  I had to explain things to my kids at 17 and 20 and that was extremely difficult for me.  At that age it had to be a non detailed truth.  I did post a lot about it here and had support along the way.  I do know with a young kid it should start out small, something they can comprehend and then more truth as they get older. 

salto

Thanks :) The birthday party went really well. He didn't ask why they wheren't there and they didn't show up either. And yes, I have to tell him bit by bit so they can't turn him against me at a older age :)

Blueberry

salto, are you on our sister website OOTF at all?

Because there I read suggestions like asking the child what happens if some child is mean or aggressive to another child. Answer: child with mean behaviour gets a time-out. Then Parent explains that Grandparents have been saying mean things so they're getting a time-out.

I don't have children myself so I haven't tried and don't know if it works.

:thumbup: :thumbup: on good birthday party for your son.