new memories (not graphic in anyway)

Started by caroline, March 21, 2018, 12:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caroline

I have been working really hard in therapy to look at and try and process some of whats happened in my life so far.  Things seem to be unlocking in my brain/mind.

Had new memories start to appear.  I feel terrified.  Are they just going to keep coming like this?  I am spending most of my time in bed. I am hiding i guess.  There is just too much.

Blueberry

I'm so sorry you're getting so many new memories. Have you told your T that you're feeling overwhelmed? It's possible slowing the therapy process down a bit could help.

Also it might help you to try and re-ground, or at least tell yourself (and any frightened inner children you have connection with) that the memories are just that, memories. They're in the past and you are not in danger from the past situations now.

When things get too much for me, I  tend to hide in bed as well. You're not alone there. I hope you begin to feel less overwhelmed soon.   :hug: :hug: if safe for you, otherwise just standing with you.

Dee

I think once you open Pandora's Box you can't put the lid back on.  I do think that they are coming because you feel safe enough and strong enough to deal with them.

Still, it's important to have distractions.  Before I even started processing the trauma my therapist made sure I had support and I could self sooth reasonably.  I often don't want to go out the front door but I know staying locked in my house isn't good either.  I usually make myself.  Getting out and having distractions so my brain can rest is a big part of my therapy.

sanmagic7

what blueberry said.

sometimes when we're working that hard, we come to a place like what you've mentioned, and need a break from it in order  for this stuff to settle a bit and give it time to be processed.  if you can contact your t, that might be a good thing to do right now.  hiding in bed, yeah, been there, done that.  it's a safe-feeling place, and probably very good for you right now.

i see that dee just posted, and i'm just offering another viewpoint.  not taking anything away from what you suggest, dee.

as you continue in recovery, maybe slow the pace down, those memories should also slow down as well, and won't be so overwhelming.  right beside you on this, caroline.  gentle warm hug if you want.

Deep Blue

That was what sent me to therapy to begin with.  I had not repressed the memories... I just didn't think about them.  Then I would have a flash and it was like I was experiencing them again, but not in my own body.  I have had that experience when too many come out at once.  I agree with Dee that once the box is open, you can't put the lid back on.  Keep in touch with your T if you are struggling and see what types of distractions and support they would suggest for you as an individual. 
I try to keep distracted, but also have had those days when I don't want to get out bed.  Hang in there, it does get better.

Dee

Deep Blue, that is exactly what happened for me.  I didn't forget, but I didn't remember.  My therapist said I compartmentalized.  I don't know what the difference really is between repressed and compartmentalized, but I felt I never forgot.  Once they started coming back, they came.

Deep Blue

Dee,
I think the difference is that when you repress... the memory is shut down.  You can't access it.  Your brain doesn't want to remember the trauma so it locks it up.  compartmentalizations is when you move it to a different place in the mind and can access it... but may try to avoid it consciously.
Caroline,
I hope it's ok for me to send you a hug. :hug:  I hope the fog will lift for you soon.

Hope67

Hi Caroline,
I just wanted to say that I hope you're coping with your memories, and that things are going ok.

I also wanted to say thank you for writing this thread, and I have just read all the replies from people, and they are so helpful - I found things that people said really useful and feel they will help me too.  Thank you.

Hope  :)