Inability to bounce back from painful emotions

Started by James, March 29, 2018, 02:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

I've noticed that a lot of people, when they get sad or frustrated or have some kind of setback, they are down for a bit but then they can bounce back... they have an ability to say "oh well" and move on. Then they can re-engage with life and be happy again.
It seems like I never learned to do that. When I was a kid I would go down into a painful emotional state after feeling rejected by my parents... and I just wouldn't come out of it. I remember the frustration of recognizing that no one is listening to me and no one cares about me and no one cares about what I'm going through, and the sinking feeling in my heart.... Then I would become sad and angry and just never come out of that state. I've lived a lot of my life in that state. I'm trying to learn some emotional resilience so that I can go through difficult things and still be bale to bounce back and continue on with life instead of descending to the pit of * and remaining there.

Eyessoblue

I'm with you James on this, I feel exactly the same, it's now all built up anger inside me that I'm unable to do this, I feel too like I'm in a pit of despair and uncertainty, nowhere to move forward nowhere to go that hole gets bigger and bigger and I fall deeper and deeper.
The emotional side in all this is my trickiest part, I've just learnt what self compassion is and really struggling to deal with that at the moment.i want to be heard but I don't want pity, trying to find the difference between the 2 is hard for me. I hope you manage to find a way through, no advice unfortunately but I do understand what you're going through.

Deep Blue

I feel ya,
Sometimes if I hit a couple triggers in a day, I'll derail for what feels like a month.  I tell myself that it's over, I tell myself to rebuild.  Then I'm wrecked with flashbacks and nightmares and bouncing back just doesn't feel like an option.  No advice... but I think a lot of us are there with you.  :grouphug:

sanmagic7

i've never been able to tell myself 'it's over now, be done with it' and move on.  i don't know how these things come and go for me - they just do, but i don't feel like it's usually because i have or haven't done something to make it happen either way.  sometimes i'll just wake up and whatever i was feeling/struggling with is gone.  sometimes it'll happen from one minute to the next during the day. 

i don't know how it works, so i have no advice, either.  i do know that something that has made it easier for me at times has been acceptance.  just accepting that this is how it is for me at this time, is there anything i can do to change it, and if not, then just be with it.  don't know if that might help you or not - i know we're all different.

Rainagain

When I was pre trauma I had plenty of resilience, was able to shrug off set backs easily.

Not so these days, i am in the pit of despair regularly, often over things I would have dismissed as trifling back in the day.

To me that shows its the cptsd having a bad effect on us.