Releasing greif

Started by suzannedamage, April 11, 2018, 01:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzannedamage

Hello there,

So good to meet you all.  Feel like I've found my tribe!

Does anyone have any tips on how to create a safe space to release greif?  Been doing good with mindfulness and shadow work but this greif bugger is too well trained and fortified in its shatterproof globe hidden away to deal with.  Progress, I know it's there!

I've fathomed I need a safe space for my psyche to let go but have no clue how to create that safe space, just writing that has made me think I don't know how to because I've not experienced it.  Psyche on guard at all times! 

Any hints and tips will be great fully accepted. 

Love to you all 

Kizzie

Hey Suzanne - my thoughts only on this of course but I found I had to go slowly and let it happen a bit at a time as I began to uncover and see clearly what had happened to me. I wanted to "rip the bandaid off" when I first starting out in recovery and soon found it was too much, that my grief and anger were buried for a reason (i.e., so as not to overwhelm).

Journaling, therapy, books (http://www.outofthestorm.website/books-1/), and reading, posting and sharing here - all good!  :yes:

suzannedamage

MarkD67

Hi Suzanne. I use my car. I call it "my little green recovery machine". I've found a few reasonably private car parks (or just nice quiet spots under some trees by the road side), and use them when I need to bawl, sob, rant, shout and occasionally scream my grief out. Large sports stadiums and convention centres that aren't being used that day are also useful carparks. It's been a godsend for me because it's so hard to get enough privacy to make the noise that my grief needs. Usually I only need 30 to 60 min to get the heavy stuff done. Depending on whats coming up. My minds been protective. Nothing comes if i don't feel safe, and it all shuts down when someone pulls up. If none of these are available, then sobbing while driving works too. Though not ideal, I've used a highway and loud music a few times. Just 20-30 min and NOT in peak hour, can work for me. I think my car has saved my sanity the past 4 years of my active recovery.  Good luck.  :thumbup:

Sceal

I attended a talk not long ago about grief that comes after being diagnosed with a chronic disease - now this mainly focused on a physical chronical disease. But I think it doesn't really matter if it's physical or mental illness. Grief is grief.
It's okay to grieve, grieving is a process we all have to go through at some point in our lives. And grief is different from depression and sadness - I think the best thing to do with grief is to allow it to be there, allow yourself to grieve over your loss. Be it loss of a childhood, loss of a future you envisioned, loss of identity or loss of a loved one.