Book Recommendation

Started by Whobuddy, September 04, 2017, 07:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whobuddy

I would like to recommend the book,  Not Trauma Alone by Steven N. Gold. It is written for therapists but I found it very helpful. I can tell it was written with compassion and sensitivity for those who survived prolonged child abuse of any type.  The premise is found in the title. Dr. Gold understands that we struggle with much more than just trying to make sense out of what happened to us. We end up facing life as adults with few or none of the necessary life skills. Our views of people, the world, and relationships are based largely on misperceptions gained in our abusive and/or neglectful families of origin.

Dr. Gold writes: "Personally, I have found it to be a tremendously humbling experience to work with individuals striving to overcome the impediments created by a history of prolonged childhood abuse. My own impression of those clients who have successfully completed contextual therapy is that they are not just functioning adequately, but in many respects are navigating through life in a manner that is exceptional."

The book is filled with hope and the belief that survivors are valuable and worthy individuals.

Kat

Cool.  I'll definitely put it on my list.  Thanks for sharing.

ah

Thanks so much :) it's on my list too. Looks very interesting, the title is wise... and so realistic.

Hope67

Hi Whobuddy,
This book looks interesting, thanks for recommending it.  I may look into getting hold of it.

Hope you're doing ok.

Hope  :)

Whobuddy

I am doing okay, thank your for your concern.  :hug:

This book was good although written for therapists. The author is currently writing another one that will be for therapists, too.

Hope67

Hi WhoBuddy,
This book was expensive, but I decided it was 'worth it' - so I have bought it, and it arrived yesterday!  I have started reading it already - and already I really like it, mainly because of what Steven N. Gold said here in the preface p.'xxi':
"A history of recurring childhood abuse is one crucial, clinically relevant characteristic they share, but it is not by any means the only one.  Overt incidents of abuse merely comprise a single component of a much more pervasive childhood atmosphere of coercive control, contempt, rejection, emotional unresponsiveness, and a lack of training in those fundamental abilities necessary for effective daily living that for most of us are so second nature we do not even realize they are learned.  They type of atmosphere that frequently accompanies overt acts of child abuse, the enduring detrimental impact this atmosphere has on life adjustment, and the remediation of that impact, constitute the subject matter of this book".

I have hope that this book will be helpful to me.  Thank you for your recommendation - and if it's ok, I will pop back in this thread if I have any other comments about the book - I could start a new thread, but having already written something here, maybe it's ok to continue here? 

Hope  :)

Fen Starshimmer

I like the sound of this book, WhoBuddy.  Added to my reading list.

Thank you  :thumbup: