TV shows trigger me **TW**

Started by Deep Blue, April 28, 2018, 05:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Blue

Does anyone else get triggered frequently by TV?  I wasn't sure where to put this particular post, but my abuser was a sadistic narcissist... so I hope it's ok to put it here.

** Trigger warning (cross between physical and emotional abuse) **

One of my "punishments" was to be put in the trunk of a car.  If I performed poorly in athletics... I had to ride home in the trunk.  I still struggle with this.  So many TV shows seem to have someone in a trunk... they are being kidnapped, hiding, a dead body... blah blah. 

Looking back I wonder why I never fought this punishment.  I quietly got in the trunk when I was "in trouble."  I was so ashamed... I knew disobedience would lead to a worse punishment so I just did it.  :Idunno:  I look back and realize how abnormal this was.  The trunk got hot sometimes and that 15 min drive home sometimes seemed to take forever.  I still don't like tight spaces  ???   I could have died!  What if we were in an accident??

This is the first time I have admitted this happened to anyone except my T.  I'm taking a deep breath here before posting this...

Elphanigh

Deep blue, thank you for sharing so honestly here. I am sorry you had to go through that.  :hug:

As far as the tv shows thing, I have some triggers in that arena as well. I think it is normal for survivors to be triggered by seeing familiar things in tv shows. For me that is often any sort of abuse that is caused by a baby sitter or doctor. I struggle with some of the extreme violence as well, especially surrounding young children.

You are not alone. Sitting with you in this

Kizzie

Oh my dear Deep Blue, I am so very sorry for  what you went through.  You should never have had to endure this, it was a truly awful and sadistic thing to do.  As you say, you couldn't have fought back because very likely things would have gotten much, much worse for you.  You did what you had to to survive, as sad and utterly difficult that was.   

I hope that sharing this here and maybe with your therapist at some point will help you to work through it.   :hug:

California Dreaming

It was very, very brave of you to share this part of your story with us. Sadistic is an excellent word choice to describe what you were subjected to. Sometimes I find comfort in something that I once heard: "The vilest predators are attracted to the brightest light."

I excelled at sports at a very young age and was punished for poor performance but in a different way. This became very confusing for me. It caused me to associate my lovability with my performance for the vast majority of my life. I call it performance love and consider it to be extremely damaging to those of us who have grown up that way.

"I knew disobedience would lead to a worse punishment so I just did it." I really like the way you worded this. I can so relate! The people who were assigned to care for us were bigger and stronger than we were. I quickly learned that they would physically hurt me if I did not comply. Your post makes me think of how you are standing up for your inner child and telling us just how bad it was back then. We are here to say, that was horrific! Also, you are not alone anymore and you can open up in a safe place.

I too am easily triggered by TV and movies. I have to be very careful in choosing what I watch.

Deep Blue

Elphanigh,
Thanks for sitting with me on this.  Thanks for the hug too.  Since you mentioned it, violence in TV triggers me too.  Physical abuse of women triggers me big time, as does abuse in children. 

Kizzie,
Thanks for validating my feelings.  If given the option I would choose being locked in a trunk over being physically abused every time.  I guess you are right, I did what I needed to do in order to survive.   :hug: back to you

California dreaming,
Quote from: California Dreaming on April 28, 2018, 09:54:49 PM
Sometimes I find comfort in something that I once heard: "The vilest predators are attracted to the brightest light."

I do find comfort in that quote. Thanks.  I was like you too.  I was a gifted athlete at a young age.  I'm trying not to minimize and you are right.  It was horrific.  Thanks for helping me to feel safe  :hug:  It is the fact that I'm starting to feel better and safer that I was able to post this. 

Elphanigh

Deep Blue, I completely understand those triggers. I have gotten more able to watched, but it took me a long times my FOO was big into crime shows and such so I had to learn to watch them otherwise I was punished for being a wimp. Had never thought about that but goodness that was abusive in its own way... *sigh* find new things too often

sanmagic7

thank you for sharing.  what a horrible thing to do to you.  i was also one who never ran away from being punished.  i meekly accepted it.  it's just how it was done in my house.

i, too, get triggered by tv, but often in an opposite manner.  i'm triggered by acts of kindness and gestures of love because it's what i didn't get.  i also refrain from watching anything that deals with torture, revenge, violence toward women, and any horrors involving kids.  my triggers run the gamut. 

you're not alone in this, deep blue.  with you all the way.  love and hugs.

Deep Blue

Elphanigh,
Thanks for always understanding.  My H is super into crime shows.  I think he believes I have a small bladder or something because I usually excuse myself when things get too triggering.  He knows nothing of my trauma.  I purposely keep him in the dark 

:Idunno:

Trigger warning **

Sanmagic,
I feel so ashamed for never fighting it.  Why didn't I tell anyone? Why didn't I say no? Why did I just climb in the trunk over and over?  I would try to feel the turns and figure out where we were on the road.  How much longer till I could get out? It smelled like oil and I prayed we wouldn't hit any lights.  I still get triggered by the model of car...  I wish I could let go of my blame for all of it.  It's ok though, Still standing and working through it.

sanmagic7

how could you fight it?  how could any of us as kids fight it?  we were taking care of ourselves as best we could.  no shame or blame there.  like you said, to not do what was expected of you brought on the fear of much worse torture, abandonment, whatever.  we didn't have power as kids.  the adults had all the power.  how could we compete with that?

we couldn't.  we didn't have the logic, the resources, the strength or the energy.  all we wanted was to get the punishment over with as soon as possible.  you weren't at fault in any way for this happening to you.  where could you run to?  you'd have to eventually go home and face something even worse.

we were trapped, vulnerable, and held up to unrealistic expectations.  the shame belongs to the people who did those things to us, not to ourselves.   i'm right beside you on this.  i'm glad you have the strength and determination now to acknowledge what happened, share it, and hopefully to lessen its impact.  the shame and blame are on them.  they were the ones who made us believe we had no alternative but to acquiesce, as mind-numbingly horrible as that was.

you did what was best for you is all.  such a sense of survival, such strength to withstand it.  your instincts took over and you made it through.  thankfully for that, you're still with us today.  glad you're here.  love and hugs.

Deep Blue

Sanmagic,
You are right.  I did say no one time... and I lived to regret it.  I survived, I'm safe, I'm here living my life now.  Thanks for the reminder.  I'll try to stop blaming myself... well I'll try to blame myself less  :bigwink:  baby steps
:hug:  :hug: :hug:
Just needing some virtual hugs so I can take a deep breath and keep going today

Blueberry

What a horrible and degrading thing to do to you!  :hug: :hug:

Yes, even those of us who objected in some way couldn't win against abusers.

Deep Blue

Thanks for the hugs blueberry.

Everyone,
  I've been feeling on the up and up lately.  Thanks for your support and validation on this post.  I really appreciate you all helping me ground when the world starts getting fuzzy. 

Kizzie

I was laying there thinking about what your father did to you Deep Blue and I had this thought that if we had an artist in our midst we could ask them to redraw your past for younger you.  I pictured a sketch of everyone who posted here forming a protective barrier between you and your father, and several of us helping you out of the trunk.  Your father is standing off to the side and a police officer is talking to him and taking out his handcuffs  Your F is looking at the ground.

In a second sketch, you are standing face-to-face with your F  whose hands are behind his back. It is  clear from your face he cannot do anything like that to you ever again - he knows it and you know it. We're all standing behind you as is the police officer,  a person in lawyer's robes and another in a judge's robes, people from your childhood community, maybe even some enlightened family members (if there were any who might not have known what you were going through but would have stepped in had they realized).

Elphanigh

Kizzie, that is such a great image. I really wish I had enough artistic talent to draw that

Deep Blue

Kizzie,
I don't really have words... thanks.  I'm going to keep that image in my mind forever.  Each time that type of memory invades my mind I have your lovely image to fight it with.  Thanks  :hug: :hug: :hug: