Anyone tried Standalone workshops in the UK?

Started by Gromit, May 03, 2018, 06:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

There is a charity for estranged parents or children in the UK called Standalone. I am on their emailing list so found out there is another workshop planned in a town within reasonable distance of me.

I just wondered if anyone had tried their workshops before? It leads to a support group I believe with X sessions.

The fact that they support both sides, parents who are estranged from children, as well as children estranged from parents worries me a little, although the sessions for these 2 sides are separated by an hour or so.

My other Q is do I actually need this support? I have been estranged for years. Life is better this way. I am not sure they encourage reconciliation, it is more support for those in estrangement.
I would appreciate anyone's experiences of such services, whether in the UK or elsewhere.

Rainagain

Hi
Would it help to know more about the content and aim of the support before deciding to attend?

My concern would be getting re traumatised if the sessions are aimed at something which wouldn't help you.

Gromit

Quote from: Rainagain on May 04, 2018, 09:44:25 AM
Hi
Would it help to know more about the content and aim of the support before deciding to attend?

My concern would be getting re traumatised if the sessions are aimed at something which wouldn't help you.

Kizzie

I had a look through the site Gromit and it seems the org would provide positive and useful support.  There doesn't seem to be anything to suggest reconciliation is their goal, just support for people who don't have family in the picture which is awesome considering so many of us with Complex PTSD are in this position. 

If you do go I for one would love to hear how it went.  :yes:

Gromit

Thanks, my reply to Rainagain vanished for some reason.
Since I posted I have had an email from my parents. It might be good to have a local support for that kind of thing, when it happens, although OOTF has helped too.

It isn't actually until August, I have to check when my holiday ends to see if I can make it.