Saw a therapist

Started by skywolf, May 10, 2018, 10:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywolf

I haven't really received any proper help up until recently. I briefly saw a therapist who was really concerned about me but then I had to move. Before I did she told me to seek help of a similar kind. Any way I've ended up being referred to mental health services. I had my first appointment after having had an assessment. It really surprised me that other than asking how I am feeling at the moment in time they've not asked me any background stuff, anything about myself. The doc I saw just sat me down and told me it's all on me to help myself. He can give me some guidance to help with the anxiety but that's it. I returned to work rather angry after this appointment only to be told by a friend that surely I can just forget about everything and move on. I'm currently just walking about with nothing going through my head because I really don't know how to respond. I desperately want to get help with everything I've experienced but just keep getting blocked by different people or written off as minor anxiety

Kizzie

Oh good grief Skywolf, FWIW I would be angry too.  It might be an idea to go back to whomever referred you and let them know the outcome - not acceptable by a long shot.  If you have a diagnosis of CPTSD it will be more difficult to block or minimize you so that may be something to pursue with your physician.  Also, there are lots of materials under "Resources" that you can use to make your case and maybe a letter from your previous T would help matters, both with a referring physician and mental health services.  Unfortunately Complex PTSD is not as widely known about in medical and mental health services as it needs to be.  It's not minor anxiety as you well know, it's trauma

Note: If you can afford to pay for or have coverage for private therapy we do have a list of searchable databases here http://www.outofthestorm.website/treatment/.  There's also a form to help in your search here - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56983ac169492ecf0c7dc1c7/t/5898b2fef7e0ab698b469185/1486402349839/Locating+a+Trauma+Therapist2.pdf

Eyessoblue

Hi sky wolf
I just wondered, are you from the uk? This seems to be pretty standard I think over here where the mental health services are so overwhelmed they literally expect you to help yourself.
I go from waiting list to waiting list with therapy in between then re referred to this person and that person not achieving a lot.. my therapist told me I have cptsd but as it's not officially diagnosed yet in the uk she has to call it ptsd, it's all so stupid, all about fitting in right criteria's and ticking certain boxes rather then dealing with each person as an individual and to what concerns each person has.

Rainagain

I'm sorry to hear how you were treated skywolf, its really poor.

I'd guess you are in UK, if you are not dangerous to yourself or others you won't get much help with anything else, mental health provision is like A&E, if its not catastrophic you are not going to get much help.

I had some help via my union when I was able to work, some employers have a short term counselling service too.

I know how horrible being dismissed like that is, I'm sorry you had that experience.

Deep Blue

Maybe somebody else said this, but could you maybe ask your old T to recommend someone for you?

Maybe you can ask them?

skywolf

Yes I'm from the UK. I don't get why mental health is so miss understood here. I know the NHS and other resources are tightly stretched. I just don't get how we can be told to ignore our problems. I'm currently trying to get more suitable help. Does anyone know why cptsd isn't recognised over here? Until recently I just thought I was strange and I suffered alone. It wasn't until I came across cptsd that I understood I wasn't alone. Thank you for all of your replies.

Eyessoblue

Skywolf, I guessed you were from what you said. Cptsd isn't at the moment recognised as it's not in the Dsm5 which lists all the health conditions, ptsd is. But I believe this is changing and as from June this year it is to be recognised and will be added to the book. Hopefully then we can get the help we need and we will be understood more.
I've been offered lots of help through the nhs and have been having help for nearly 2 years now, but it really has been a case of been moved to see various different therapists who all seem to offer something different, again tho with the nhs you're only allowed up to 12 sessions then you have to be discharged or moved to another person but waiting lists are so long and this is the part I struggle with and my anxiety gets ridiculous as I feel I'm so alone and have to try and get through each day with no support, the system is wrong but unfortunately I think there's just too many people with mental health issues now.

Rainagain

The NHS is just not funded for reasonable mental services, my old GP described it as an 'imperfect service', you can get treated for schizophrenia and bipolar as they can be dangerous to the public and yourself if untreated, they will respond if you are potentially violent or suicidal, otherwise its long waiting lists and as eyessoblue says, 8 or so sessions of CBT which may not be very helpful. I did manage to get emdr on the NHS at one time, It wasn't easy to find.

Sorry to sound negative.

Kizzie

It may help if you're able to educate your medical/mental health folks about the fact that Complex PTSD is included in the newest manual of the World Health Organization's International Classification of Diseases (Edition 11) to be published this year - http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/revision/en/.  As I understand it, the WHO ICD is used extensively in Europe either in addition to the DSM or instead of it so it's potentially a positive step forward.  (Note - Complex PTSD was not included in the latest edition of the APA DSM unfortunately.)

Here's the diagnosis as it appears in the beta version of the WHO ICD-11:

Complex post-traumatic stress disorder (Complex PTSD) is a disorder that may develop following exposure to an event or series of events of an extremely threatening or horrific nature, most commonly prolonged or repetitive events from which escape is difficult or impossible (e.g., torture, slavery, genocide campaigns, prolonged domestic violence, repeated childhood sexual or physical abuse). The disorder is characterized by the core symptoms of PTSD; that is, all diagnostic requirements for PTSD have been met at some point during the course of the disorder. In addition, Complex PTSD is characterized by 1) severe and pervasive problems in affect regulation; 2) persistent beliefs about oneself as diminished, defeated or worthless, accompanied by deep and pervasive feelings of shame, guilt or failure related to the traumatic event; and 3) persistent difficulties in sustaining relationships and in feeling close to others. The disturbance causes significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning.   (Reference)

We do have some information sheets about Complex PTSD for GPs and health practitioners specifically  that you might want to download and take to any appts - http://www.outofthestorm.website/downloads/.

I don't know if any of this will help but worth a try perhaps. 

sanmagic7

so very sorry for such mismanagement of the whole mental health system.  c-ptsd is generally not recognized anywhere that uses the dsm manual as their guide for diagnosis - which, in turn, is used to get payment by insurance companies or as a way to let future t's know how to focus their treatment plans (in case they don't want to explore your issues on their own, and are willing to settle for how someone else saw you).

kizzie's suggestions are great.  we seem to have come to a place where we need to advocate for ourselves in all the health fields, make those professionals listen to us.  my last t was just like the shrink you described - we went 6 sessions and she never took a history, never explored goals with me, and generally gave me no direction.  i fired her, am without a t now, and look to this forum for support, validation, and suggestions as how to proceed with moving forward.

it's frustrating, to say the least, so very unhelpful when we're actually reaching out for help.  these are supposed to be helping professions, after all.  grrrr.  i wish it were different.  love and hugs to you,  skywolf

Rainagain

In the uk it isn't the fact that cptsd may or may not be recognised separately from PTSD which is the real issue. Its the fact that there are other mental disorders with higher rates of public menace.
Its a triage system and PTSD/cptsd doesn't get you a seat in front of an experienced psych or trauma therapist, not on the NHS anyway.
Care is better for children but 18 year old and older? You are not a priority. The priority is set from the viewpoint of public safety not the needs of individuals or individual suffering.