Healing healer

Started by anosognosia, February 12, 2015, 08:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anosognosia

I'm a healthcare worker.
As I was talking to a patient I was triggered and realised I had suffered abuse (physical and emotional) from both my parents all throughout childhood.

I had a long period of denial, though the CPTSD manifested itself in tumultuous romantic relationships.

Kizzie

HI and welcome to OOUTS Anosognosia  :wave:   Glad you found your way here as you'll find lots of welcoming and supportive people who are dealing with CPTSD in their lives.  It really helps when people get it and you can feel safe to talk about what you've been going through finally.  If you haven't already done so, please have a read through the Member Guidelines and some of the forums and when you're ready make some more posts.   :hug:

C.

Welcome Anosognosia.  I have worked in the periphery of the health care profession for a long time including 10+ years in a public health dept.  I remember when I first realized that I had experienced what I was helping to "prevent"...pretty mind boggling and triggering.  It also gave me the opportunity to heal and be truly empathetic and compassionate in a way others could not be.

The denial is a defense mechanism our body uses to survive.  It gets easier.  Be patient with yourself.  I've had to take on a "little" at a time in order to be able to keep working around so many triggers.  I'm happy that you found this forum, I think that you will find it very supportive.

I am so sorry that you experienced abuse as a child.  You were young and helpless and no child should have to experience such pain.  It sounds like you have an important awareness around how that impacted your relationships.

I look forward to learning together and again, welcome! :wave: