Creativity Thread for Inner Children - Please Join Us!!!

Started by Hope67, May 24, 2018, 11:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope67

Hi everyone,
Blueberry has given me the encouragement and the idea to start up a thread called 'Creativity Thread for Inner Children' - and so it's here for us all to contribute on expressing creativity - and sharing anything that any of us want to share.

Personally I have felt that my creativity has been stifled and held back, and infact 'frozen' in time - since the age of 17 years of age - and I've tried to do the occasional thing as an adult, but have never got very far.

More recently, I bought some pinking scissors to cut out some pictures from magazines, with the idea of using them in collages, or as ideas for painting or drawing, and so far that's as far as I got - I have a collection of nice photos and pictures in a folder. 

So - I am hoping that I'll be popping back into this thread as and when I've started something, or accomplished something - and I am going to encourage my inner children to know that this thread is for them to play and enjoy and hopefully 'create' whatever they feel like creating...

Please join me, and contribute as and when you want to - and we can encourage and inspire one another.

Little Hope is already excited about this  :cheer:

Here's to Creativity.

Hope  :)

Estella

Hope67

Hi Estella, Really happy you'll be joining in, and 'Welcome'!   :)

Kizzie

Love this idea too Hope, tks for starting this and I'd love to join in.  Must go and dig out my glitter and glue ;D

Elphanigh

LittleBoat

Yay, Hope!  Pink away with those pinking shears!  Great idea for a thread!  All best, LittleBoat

Hope67

Hi Kizzie, Elphanigh & LittleBoat - great that you're here too!
Kizzie - mentioning Glitter & Glue reminded me of how much fun it was to make cards as a child, using glitter and glue - messy but fun!
I also thought of school and enjoying putting paint on leaves to do 'prints' from them. 
LittleBoat - you mentioned 'pink away' - didn't think of using pinking shears as literally 'pinking' - made me smile. 

Having this thread available is already filling me with some excitement - and I'm hoping to do 'something' creative over the weekend, so I'll hope to write about it here - as and when it happens.  I hope very much that I will be sharing that with you all - sometime soon, and in the meantime, look forward to reading about anyone else's creative exploits, as and when they happen, if you want to share.

Even just 'thinking about it' is quite a pleasant thing for me today - so thank you Blueberry for suggesting this thread.

Blueberry

I love that this idea has got going  :) Just reading the few examples mentioned already has reminded me of things I did as a child - potato prints. My dad cut some simple pattern into the end of a potato or two and so did other playschool parents and then we little children dipped them into paint and pressed on paper. Of course now nursery schools will probably all be equipped with real moulds to be dipped in paint, no potatoes necessary. I also liked weaving paper together. What went on in playschool was very basic. But it was something.  :)

I've done much more with my ICs since! Like foot-painting with finger paints, using plasticine, and then moving onto polymer clay. Also just plain old colouring in and drawing/painting. Sometimes my ICs would come up with a title for the painting. Often it was just a very quick thing I'd do in 5-10 minutes to help me process a feeling. I also did stuff I took a lot of time for. Like making pictures with coloured tissue paper. I cut little squares, big enough to wrap around the end of my finger, dipped in glue and then stuck to coloured paper where I'd drawn an outline e.g. of a flower. So the actual picture ended up sticking out a few centimetres from the paper.

Hope, I'd include doing dot-to-dots in this too. I know you do them, and I do too on occasion.

I would say I was helped quite a lot by Julia Cameron's book "The Artistic Way", though I think it needs to be used a bit differently than proposed when you add cptsd to the mix. Maybe I'll post about that under Books if I get round to it.

Hope67

Hi Blueberry
I was struggling to find this thread, but then I saw it!  Sometimes I can't see for looking! 

You reminded me of Potato Prints - yes, we did those too at school or pre-school and it was FUN!    I seem to remember I liked playing in a the sand-pit too.  I enjoyed reading your examples of things you enjoyed doing, Blueberry - and I have also read Julia Cameron's book "The Artistic Way" - she writes really well and I found that book to be very inspiring and gave me some hope at the time.  Of course, my usual procrastination ended up scuppering me from starting to do any Art, but I think it would be good to re-read her book sometime, to try to get that hope back again.  I'd love to see your writings about it, if you do decide to post about it in the Books section.

Yes, Dot-to-Dots - I have found them to be therapeutic and fun - I haven't done one for over a week now, possibly into 2 weeks - I must find my book of dot-to-dots and do another one.  They seem to engage a different part of my brain, and it is a positive feeling when I'm doing that.

I looked through some magazines yesterday - and ended up cutting out recipes!   I decided I'd like to try to do some cooking!  I enjoy it, but tend to stick to the same tried and tested meals, and I'd like to be more 'creative with cooking' - so that's something that's surprised me yesterday - and I am excited about it already.

I'm feeling happier in myself today - much lighter.  I hope this feeling stays with me for a while.

Blueberry

Quote from: Hope67 on May 26, 2018, 12:35:39 PM
I'm feeling happier in myself today - much lighter.  I hope this feeling stays with me for a while.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Hope67

Thanks Blueberry - I am happy to say that the feeling has stayed a bit longer - I've felt it from time to time today as well.  This is good!   :cheer:

I have allowed my inner children to 'play' a bit today - we have a new Dot to Dot book - and Little Hope enjoyed doing a few of those - she loved it.  So relaxing.  Good fun too.

Hope67

Strangely, I found that when I had a shower this morning, that it was as if one of my inner children was there with me, and she was very giggly - and I literally laughed out loud whilst showering - it was as if she was joining me there, and was so thrilled at the way the water flowed and just the excitement of a simple thing like taking a shower.  That's something that's not happened in some time.  I feel sure it's due to allowing my inner children to play and be creative - I'm going to keep going on it.

Three Roses

What a wonderful idea! I've recently started rock painting and that's  given me a creative outlet and helped me. My community alone has 3 Facebook groups to post your work or to post when you find one (after they're painted, they're hidden randomly for others to find).

LittleBoat

Quote from: Hope67 on May 30, 2018, 02:15:15 PM
Strangely, I found that when I had a shower this morning, that it was as if one of my inner children was there with me, and she was very giggly - and I literally laughed out loud whilst showering - it was as if she was joining me there, and was so thrilled at the way the water flowed and just the excitement of a simple thing like taking a shower.  That's something that's not happened in some time.  I feel sure it's due to allowing my inner children to play and be creative - I'm going to keep going on it.

So happy for you, Hope.  Enjoy the fairy dust.  I'm so pleased that this thread is here.  It is so affirming for the children within each of us.  I have found that I've grown overly sensitive to color and light over the last couple of years, when, earlier in my life, I relished beautiful paintings, bright colors, light, itself.  Ha!  Maybe I should try finger painting.  You know....Get right in there. 

P.S.--Thank you for being so responsive to my posts, Hope.  So supportive and caring.  I do feel an affinity with you.  It's a lovely thing.  All best, Little Boat

Hope67

Hi Three Roses - I am so happy to see you in the forum, as I've missed you!   :hug: to you.   It's great that you've been doing some Rock Painting - that sounds fun.  Wow, that's a lot of Facebook groups for posting work to - just shows how much creativity is going on out there.

Hi LittleBoat - I love it that you said "Enjoy the Fairy Dust" - that sounds like fun.  You're right, it's very affirming to the children within us.  I've never tried finger-painting - like you say, getting right in there!    Yes, feeling an affinity - that is exactly right - I agree with you.  It is a lovely thing.   

I did some Dot to Dots yesterday - it felt very relaxing to do them.  I also think it's helping my coordination - as I am getting better at doing a smoother line between the dots - I rarely work out what the finished thing is going to be till it's almost completed - then it's a nice surprise to see what it is.