Questions about exposure therapy. Help!?!?!

Started by Deep Blue, May 01, 2018, 12:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

As I now have an appointment for a face to face assessment for CBT I was looking at the stuff IAPT (UK NHS) gave me access to, the PTSD stuff does involve exposure to triggers. Ah, now I am starting to feel nervous.
I have been to a few ACOA meetings & I find people talking about their unhealthy FOO unsettling too. I suppose my NC is highly avoidant but I have no desire to break it. The positive thing is the meetings are reintroducing me to the 12 steps, & it gives me a lot to think about, more so than the T I recently finished. It is easier to hold onto.

I guess I want to know if it is helping Deep Blue?

G

Deep Blue

Hey Gromit,
The short answer is, yes it is helping.  To my knowledge, exposure doesn't have anything to do with confronting our perpetrators.  It is for triggers as a result of abuse.  I have never been asked to open up contact again.  I've been no contact for over 10 years.

Here is an example.  I used to get very triggered by the smell of baby powder.  We brought some to a session, wrote about why it is triggering to me, talked about it, smelled it, etc.  I incorporated baby powder with new positive memories.  I'm ok with baby powder now.  I was at a pep assembly at school and they threw it in the air, I saw and smelled it, and didn't get a panic attack.   :cheer:

So far, I'm learning to take small steps.  I had been with my T about a year and a half before we even started dealing with exposure.  You certainly shouldn't jump into exposure right away.  It is important to wait till you are ready.  Let me know if you need anything Gromit.
:hug:

Blueberry

That sounds really interesting, Deep Blue. So glad it seems to have helped with the baby powder and not panic attack!  :cheer:

Deep Blue

Thanks blueberry.  I really needed that right now.