Acceptance & Commitment Therapy

Started by alovelycreature, February 19, 2015, 02:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alovelycreature

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) has been clinically shown to have short term and long term success (as opposed to CBT, which doesn't have the same long term success).

It's an open source therapy, so anyone can look on their website: http://contextualscience.org/act

I'm reading "Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life." The book is pretty incredible and looks at problems completely different than any other approach I've read about.

ACT is based on Relational Frame Theory (RFT). RFT recognizes that the way humans think and feel make us completely different than other species, and has lead to our advancement above other animals. However, these same psychological tools that help us problem-solve and survive cause all of our suffering because we try to look at our uncomfortable thoughts and feelings as something to be solved. You definitely have to take a leap of faith reading the book, but I have found it insanely helpful and had many moments of realization (especially in regards to coping mechanisms). Don't know if many others have read about it or done any work, but it works from stress to anxiety, to depression, to substance abuse, trauma, etc. It's very versatile for dealing with many different problems.

C.

Sounds interesting and like a great tool.  I will look in to it.  Thank you for the information! :thumbup:

lonewolf

If others are interested, I just started working with "The Mindfullness & Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety", which is It is based on ACT. I just bought it this week and only started with it today. It includes a CD with mindfulness meditations. I think acceptance is something I have never been able to do for myself. Additionally, I signed up for a Mindfulness workshop that starts this Saturday. It's been years since I signed up for something that was not "academic" or "professional" but rather for self-care. I'm a bit nervous but also really excited.