Anyone else getting floored/shaken by the #Metoo movement?

Started by deptofhearts, November 20, 2017, 02:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SE7

Yes. On one hand, it was liberating & empowering seeing those women have a court victory, but then when they give graphic details of their stories on TV or news, it is very triggering. It's not the kind of thing I want to just hear about out of the blue & get all the bad memories going again. It's definitely a double-edged sword. The hard part about it is that when I see a story come up in the news, because I am a survivor of several scenarios, I feel automatically compelled to read or watch about what they went through. I was like this many years ago too before I was aware that I had been SA. Always drawn to reading the books of celebrities describing their SA. What is that? Why the compelling need to know the stories, when I know they will be triggering or painful? What is that about? Why can't I just say to myself, no, don't read or watch that. You don't need the trigger. There are times I've done that, but most of the time I give in.

p.s. andyman73 - regarding the feeling of being left out, I can understand because for me that feeling comes from being an adult survivor of narcissists/borderline who are COVERTS. I cannot really point to obvious overt behavior that most associate with abuse (like physical or verbal) - most of what I've been through is not visible, it is hidden but soul-crushing nonetheless. I constantly feel the need to shout out 'my abusers are COVERTS! you might think they seem like great people! no one can see but the damage is infinite! Maybe they did do things overt - but there's not enough proof' ... so I hear where you're coming from. As for #MeToo, you are absolutely included.

Andyman73

SE7, hi, been struggling to come here, but finally got my own computer in my room, so ... not have to worry about brother's family  seeing something  I don't want to have to explain or answer quesionts about.  But that only goes for that particular issue!  ;) Or one of them being on it.  ;)

I had to stop watching news and even most tv shows as more and more memories came back. Even now I watch very little news and I take each show on a case by case basis. I really enjoyed watching Law And Order; SVU. I was always rooting for Ice-T and Mariskay Hartigay, and so on, to get those evil perps and lock them away!  Have to be real careful with that one now.  I do wonder maybe, that subconciously, you were watching to see the justice being served to the evildoers.

Covert, yes! Soon to be ex was quite adept at that! Nobody knew or was aware, beyond my own kids.  I tried my best to not look like a beat down, whipped, broken man, when we were out in public together.

Thank you for including me. I really appreciate that.