Triggered by this word *TW*

Started by Contessa, June 26, 2018, 10:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contessa

Anybody else find the word "hack" triggering?

radical

If you mean the verb 'hack' it fills me with fear because I feel I could be exposed and attacked by my internet presence.  Also, there are so many other private documents like medical records.  I feel vulnerable having so much written by and about me.  So in a sense I feel triggered, but it's more like feeling threatened.

I don't know if you meant the noun.  In some careers I take this as meaning 'medicocre',  as in "he's just a hack".  I don't feel triggered by this.  I always felt I was pretty mediocre, to be honest, but the word doesn't have any particular trigger effect.

I hope this is of some use, Contessa, and that things are okay for you right now.

Contessa

I do know that this may just be confined to me, but it is the verb being used as a noun. One of my abusers had a penchant for "hacking" at my belongings with sharp implements. In particular, it was most violent with very sentimental objects that were in fact very important for my recovery from a preceding trauma at the time. That previous trauma was still very very raw. The subsequent hacking of these items therefore nearly killed me, and had I not escaped within days I know that person would have eventually used those sharp implements directly on me.

"Hack" was the word used when filing police reports and consulting with lawyers.

Now the word "hack" pops up several times a week or even day, as a name for crafty household hints. I cannot think of a more misapplied word for household time savers, and it is extremely triggering whenever I read or hear it used for that purpose. It's not meant to be offensive obviously; I think it's trying to sound cool. However I personally get distressed whenever I hear it, and more so each time.

radical

That's horrible.  No wonder the word is triggering.
It is an unspoken threat, violently attacking treasured objects.  I'm so glad you got away.

I hadn't thought of either of these two meanings you describe of the word.  That second meaning is common, as a shortcut or clever technique. I hear or read it often. It just hadn't registered.

I feel for you with this.

Contessa

Thanks Rad, it's such a weird thing I know. 'Computer hacking' is not a problem for some reason, which is where I think the use of the word is derived from.

But as you say 'threat' 'violent' and 'attack' is the tone I get from the word, not anything positive or easy.

Oh well. Hopefully some other phrase overtakes it. Thanks again for answering and empathising Rad x