The Survivors Hub - F2F support group in UK

Started by Author Anna, July 13, 2018, 09:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Author Anna

The Survivors Hub is a new group in the UK for people looking to connect with others working on their recovery. It is a peer-to-peer support group in Bedford co-facilitated by a member of Out of the Storm for adults affected by Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder originating in childhood, whether that is emotional/physical/sexual/spiritual and/or the result of neglect/abandonment. We understand that buried memories can return later in life with devastating consequences. We aim to provide a safe place to chat and feel emotionally supported, and share knowledge on coping strategies and skills. We find strength in solidarity and social connection, hope in the midst of despair, frustration and hopelessness. You do not need a formal diagnosis to join. Sessions are free.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I will try and answer them here.

Note:  The location/dates/times of meetings are in the process of being changed so please check back.  Updated information will be added ASAP. Kizzie - Nov 5, 2018

Author Anna

Today I gave a 15 minute speech (it was supposed to be 10 mins) about the new Survivors Hub F2F group at ACCM UK. It was filmed by a friend, and I managed to hold my nerves with the help of a script I'd prepared earlier.

Hope that it reached out to victims and survivors and will draw more people into our group. There were speakers from leading national charities at the event, and I felt honoured to be standing alongside them. I hope I sounded OK. I think the charity was happy with my performance, commenting that I was 'a strong character' afterwards.  ;D

I felt some of the language I was using was not familiar - or the norm - to other people present who work in the mental health field, people who deal with those in crisis for example.
CPTSD is definitely still a very new concept in the UK.

Blueberry

Well-done  :applause: I don't think I'd have the courage. I wish you continued success with your group.

Three Roses

Author Anna

Thank you Blueberry and Three Roses for your support and encouragement.

It's taken me a long time to get this far in my recovery, but I'm here now, and I'll keep taking up whatever opportunities I can in my new role. It's pushing me outside my comfort zone.  :)

Have to say, sharing a little more about myself is drawing lovely people towards me. Was close to tears later when I was talking to my friend (in private) and saw tears in his eyes. Not used to this kind of response, not used to talking about myself and receiving validation.  :no:

Author Anna

For everyone who's been following the development of the Survivors Hub in Bedford, I would like to inform you that we are no longer operating from ACCM UK.

The charity was hugely supportive of the project, and I'm grateful to them for their encouragement and for giving me the chance to run a survivors support group on their premises.

A couple of us (survivors) are now exploring the possibility of running the group from another location on our own, in a slightly different way. I will be back when I have further news on this.

Kizzie

Hi Anna - thanks for the update. 

I did edit the first post to mention that the location/dates/times are being changed so perhaps once you do know that info you could add it in the first post. 

Author Anna

Thanks for making the amendment Kizzie. I'll be back to update you and add to the first post as soon as I have the details.

Author Anna

Hello all,

:heythere:

Sorry for being quiet for ages. You could be forgiven for thinking I have disappeared. Far from it. I'm working with a small group of people to set up an organisation that can raise funds for the Survivors Hub, so that we can operate independently.

We have been brainstorming ideas for a name. I came up with this one, no one has opposed it, and I wondered what OOTS thought: Recovery Code X

My blurb: It's the mystery solution to your recovery, the elusive equation. It's the map leading you to the treasure of inner peace and harmony in body, mind and soul. It's unique to you, you alone. So, we invite you to join us in the adventure, and help you map out a way to better health, vitality and happiness.

Implicit in the name is the idea of harm having been done, making an important distinction from personality disorders eg narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), paranoid personality disorder, psychopathy etc, and non-stigmatising.

It relates to our proposed mission:

Mission
Our mission is to inspire people who have experienced repetitive, ongoing abuse and trauma to find the keys to unlocking the codes of their recovery, and provide a safe environment with tools to support them on their journey to wholeness and harmony in mind, body and soul.

Any thoughts?

Kizzie

Hey Anna  :heythere:

I like the message you are hoping to get across. What about adding a tag line like "Your path to recovery is as unique as you; let the Survivors Hub help"

Or maybe something that is more direct like  "Recovery for Trauma Survivors" again with a tag line "Your path to recovery should be as unique as you, let t SH help you find it"  or "One size does not fit all; find your unique path to recovery at The SH"?   :Idunno:

Bravo to you for persevering with this Anna    :thumbup:    :cheer:    :applause:

Author Anna

Hi Kizzie  :wave:
Thank you for your understanding and support for what I'm trying to do.

I love your tagline suggestions  ;D ....like this one:
Quote"Your path to recovery is as unique as you; let the Survivors Hub help"

Going to run these by the others.

A decision needs to be made asap to get this moving. Group decision-making, with too much  :blahblahblah:  can slow things down, stall progress.

I'm the one who makes the final decision, makes those ideas fly...  :witch: It's going to happen.

Kizzie

Yes, collaboration can mean a long road to point B but it sounds like you have some momentum going  :thumbup:  Let us know how it goes when you get a sec.