Self administered EMDR

Started by Snookiebookie, July 16, 2018, 01:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snookiebookie

Hi  :cheer:

I have a feeling this question may divide opinion.   :aaauuugh:

Is it possible to administer EMDR to yourself at home?

There are couple of reasons I ask. Firstly, because I would like a way of calming myself and getting rid of that angst that can build through the day.  I think if I could do that, and diffuse the pain before it becomes stored as additional trauma that would be good.   

I had EMDR during integrated therapy about four years ago.  That lady seemingly no longer practices.  I am having therapy at the moment and have been seeing this lady for almost a year.  She does not do EMDR.  I don't really want to have treatment from two people - because I can't really afford two fees.  I don't feel like swapping my current therapist as I am just building my relationship with her.  Starting from scratch with someone else for treatment is very hard work. Therefore, if I could use techniques at home that would help, that would be great.

When I had EMDR before, she used theratappers - little devices that you hold in your hand that buzz from one hand to the other.  It was quite, well, therapeutic.  I really found that they soothed me.  I even thought about buying myself some -  but they were over £100.  The therapist suggested that I do tapping instead (kind of like emotional freedom technique). 

I wondered if I took 5 or 10 minutes each day and did the tapping (by gently tapping on my collarbone in a slow and alternating pattern) if that would help.  I know someone who had EMDR and he used to simply tap her shoulders in a slow alternating pattern, instead of using a pendulum, theratappers or a moving light etc. So my method would be similar.   

For anyone who is concerned that I would not be supervised by an expert......I would not be processing any deep trauma, just the tension that has build through the day.   I would intend to leave my deep trauma to my counselling sessions.  As I said before this is to stop the tension building and overwhelming me.  I also thought it may stop me ruminating on the events of the day.

Does anyone else have any ideas or thoughts.

Thanks for your time.

Snookie  :wave:

Eyessoblue

Hi, if you look on YouTube there's lots of self administered emdr you can follow, some of them have really good reviews.
When I suggested to my emdr therapist about doing this when I wasn't seeing her, she was horrified and said no absolutely don't do it, you need the guidance of a therapist with you (mine however is deep related childhood trauma).
I did do it once at home from YouTube as I had been discharged from my therapist and was basically desperate. It did work really well and it made me cry quite a lot, which for me is a good thing, but it also made me quite depressed and as she rightly pointed out I had no one with me to support me so that was tough, but I did get through it.
I guess it depends on what it is and how you feel but I definitely wouldn't advise it for anything heavy or that you'll need support with.

sanmagic7

i am an emdr therapist and have looked at some of those youtube versions.  i am wary of attempting to process any trauma-related issues at all on your own, and would not recommend it.

i do know, and have done it myself, that some alternate tapping (i usually tap my knees) for relaxation or stress relief can be helpful.  i know of others who use this method to relax themselves.  however, warning again against trying to do anything trauma-related.  that stuff goes too deep to do it on your own without a professional's guidance and support.

eft tapping, on the other hand, is often done by the individual and can help a lot.  i've looked at the videos for it and have found it to be helpful and i know others use it regularly with success of varying degrees. 

just, please be careful with any of these  - if you feel overwhelmed at all, stop, do some grounding exercises or call your therapist.  it may not be a good fit for you to do it on your own.  go slowly at first, see how it feels.  a little at a time, check in with yourself often, stop immediately if something doesn't feel 'right'.

best to you - i do hope you find some relief.  it's difficult to sit with that tension and have nowhere to put it.  sending love and a hug full of soothing calm. 

Snookiebookie

I've found bilateral stimulation on YouTube and it's quite soothing.  Apparently bilateral stimulation is the basis of EMDR.

I'm not intending using it for deep trauma, as that is what therapy is for.  I'm going to use it to unwind and reset. To stop tension building and leading to stress, anxiety and more trauma.   

sanmagic7

i'm really glad you found it soothing.  bilateral stimulaltion (bls) is, indeed, an important part of emdr.  love and hugs, snook