Insurance Threatening To Cut Off My Therapy

• 4 Replies

plantsandworms

• View Profile
Insurance Threatening To Cut Off My Therapy
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »
My health insurance is threatening to cut off my access to therapy. They said I'm too "high functioning" and they don't want me to become "dependent" on therapy as a maintenance tool. And it just makes me want to laugh/cry at the same time because the only reason I've been so "high functioning" is because therapy has stabilized me enough to keep a job and a roof over my head. Whenever I have to miss a weekly appointment I end up having such a hard time, and I can't imagine what will happen to me if I can't go to therapy at all anymore. I am so angry that capitalistic norms about "productivity" are keeping me from getting the help that I need to maintain a normal life. I am starting to spiral now before it's even happened because I just want to give up at the idea that I will have to crash and burn on a regular basis as they toggle my mental health services on and off. I don't want to keep doing this forever. I don't have family. I don't have a safety net. I'm trying not to feel terrified. I can't do this alone.

Blueberry

• Baby steps count!
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance Threatening To Cut Off My Therapy
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »
I'm really sorry about that. I would be very worried and frightened in your shoes too.  :hug:  I've been told before that I'm "too intelligent" which sounds similar to "too high functioning" to me. I've heard a few other very ridiculous excuses in my time.

It sounds as if your health insurance has no idea about cptsd. Would any of the forms and information sheets available on the forum be helpful for showing and explaining to them? Sorry, if you've tried all that already. Is there any kind of regulating body in your country that oversees medical insurance where you could file an objection?

You're not completely alone, though. I know the forum is not like having your own therapist you can go to weekly, but there are other mbrs here without therapy where the forum is tiding them over until they can find a trauma-informed therapist or until therapy gets paid for. We do care about you on here. Writing can help ease all sorts of fears and worries. Please keep coming back and posting.

sanmagic7

• learn something from everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 01:05:16 AM »
i echo everything blueberry said.  the whole idea of ins. managing mental health issues has been a thorn in my side since i've had to deal with them with both my d's.  'dependent on therapy'?  well, of course!!  we depend on our t's to help us keep afloat till we can do so ourselves.  they grind my gears.   grrrrr!!!

so  very sorry you have this worry on top of everything else, p&w.  sucks.  sending love and caring compassion to you, sweetie.

plantsandworms

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »
Thank you both so much for your replies. I'm trying to remind myself that I have more tools now and that I have built myself some non-family support systems in my life, but I can't help but fall back into an EF of feeling like I'm free-falling and I don't have anyone in the world to take care of me when I can't. I am going to talk to my T more this week about ways I can best self-advocate with my insurance company to get the care I need and fingers crossed that I will find a compassionate person in the company to work with me. Either way it is a great comfort to know that I can still come and post here on my hardest days. Thank you for your listening ear and your support!

sanmagic7

• learn something from everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »
thanks for sharing, p&w, and best to you with all this.  i hope your t can be of assistance.  and, of course, you're always welcome here.  sending love and hugs, sweetie.